Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8600GTS only 1024x768! Please tell me your kidding!

• Please log in to reply

N3TH

N3TH

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ive just acquired a 8600GTS, and got through a few driver issues (bloody vista!) only to find out I am limited to 1024x768 resolution.... and Crisis wont go full screen!!!! WHAT THE [bleep]!

Is there something I did wrong?!

Advertisements

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
download ntune and change the res from there, it worked for me with the exact same card :)

N3TH

N3TH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ha its ok now, i found the Beta firmware. Seems to work fine! Although vista gave me three errors on things that wouldnt work... something about rundll... But im not so sure this is safe as it is a leaked driver... any suggestions?

Edited by N3TH, 23 April 2008 - 06:40 AM.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Below is the official Nvidia Drivers download page if you want to download latest driver for your card..

http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us

N3TH

N3TH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yea I downloaded that and that was the issue, it wouldnt let my resolution go any higher than 1024x768... which is kinda lame on a 22" monitor. I will try sandman's suggestion though. Hopefully that will fix my Crysis non-fullscreen issue also!

cheers

EDIT: Tried downloading Ntune, wont work with my mobo... and windows says there is an error with my GPU driver... HELP!

Edited by N3TH, 25 April 2008 - 01:00 AM.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
May I know what vga card that you use before? you might want to uninstall their driver first before installing the new one.. btw, for a 22" monitor, 8600GTS would not handle Crysis well at resolution above 1280x1024 at low/medium setting..

N3TH

N3TH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No GPU beforehand. It has a Radeon chip on the mobo. I dont mind running Crysis low resolution, i just want it full screen... does that mean i need to change my desktop resolution for it to go fullscreen? I didnt think i needed to....

thanks

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hi.. may I ask something.. at default, can you change your screen resolution via right click >> Properties >> Settings ??

Or perhaps you could not change the screen resolution for Crysis game only?

N3TH

N3TH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
OK, i have fiddled around with the latest driver from Nvidia, and windows is saying my device doesnt have the right driver... that little yellow thing by its name in the Device Manager viewer. So when i start up the computer, and change the settings in BIOS to use the PCI-Ex instead of the mobo chipset, it cuts out after the loading screen and i get "no Signal Input" on the screen. The GPU sounds like its running hard out and then the fan just stops going...

I can still change the resolution default, and in game (Crysis)

Although after fiddling with the drivers its saying i dont have a good enough GPU.... sigh

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts

So when i start up the computer, and change the settings in BIOS to use the PCI-Ex instead of the mobo chipset, it cuts out after the loading screen and i get "no Signal Input" on the screen. The GPU sounds like its running hard out and then the fan just stops going...

I'm sorry if I failed to understand your statement above, as I'm not familiar with onboard-graphic motherboard (never use one), may I know what do you mean by change the settings in BIOS to use the PCI-Ex instead of the mobo chipset? Do you mean that there's BIOS setting whether to choose onboard graphic or dedicated card?

And.. May I also know what do you mean by The GPU sounds like its running hard out and then the fan just stops going? Does the vga fan running ok now? I don't think it's good idea to run your computer with vga card's fan stopped..

If the fan indeed failed to work, you may have to return the card to your Supplier/Distributor for warranty purpose..

N3TH

N3TH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yea my BIOS gives me the option to use either a PCI slot, the onboard graphics or a PCI-E slot as the primary display hardware.

What I meant about the GPU fan is that the card fan makes lots of noise during the boot process but then seems to slow down drastically as the screen goes blank.

I think its a driver issue but i have tried the NVIDIA driver from the website (169.35), one off a PC magazine CD (174.16) and a leaked driver off some random website (174.85) and none of them seem to make a difference. The card keeps cutting out before the login screen

N3TH

N3TH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
UPDATE!

Managed to fix all the other issues except the resolution being so limited... I dont seem to be able to get a driver to work past 169.35... which sucks! Im sure this is the reason I cant have a higher resolution. I cant use Ntune as i dont have the right mobo... darn it!

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Ok, this question may be irrelevant but I'm asking anyway..

When you install your Motherboard Drivers, do you somehow install its onboard-graphic driver too? As you may need to uninstall it first before using Nvidia vga card.. using two instance of different graphic driver may lead to system instability..

Looking at your siggy, I noticed that you use ATi-onboard graphic motherboard.. So my suggestion is (unless somebody else have different idea) to

1. Uninstall your current vga driver, >> reboot
2. Uninstall your motherboard driver >> reboot
3. Then re-install back your motherboard driver without its onboard graphic driver. >> reboot
4. Re-install the latest official Nvidia driver.. >> reboot

Edited by fenzodahl512, 27 April 2008 - 04:52 AM.

N3TH

N3TH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have removed my motherboards onboard graphics driver prior to installing the NVIDIA one, because this was required in the instructions for the new card. And disabled on board graphics in the BIOS menu.

I have tried other drivers and i just have to settle with the 169.35, which is the most up to date one on the NVIDIA page. However every time i start up my computer the monitor says it has no signal, and I need to unplug the DVI cable, and plug it back in just to get the screen working... is this a driver issue? or a screen issue? Or should i use the VGA adapter and just settle with analog?

Cheers

Edited by N3TH, 28 April 2008 - 11:53 PM.