Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

live sound from internet

• Please log in to reply

dumfounded

dumfounded

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
can anyone help with me with this problem. my sound works fine when watching or listening to something i have downloaded or from cds but my computer will not play system sounds or live sounds when watching video on utube. everyonr i have spoken to seems to think i'm mad any ideas?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello dumfounded...

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok". Registry Editor will open. Expand (Click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, then Drivers32.

Right click on Drivers32 and choose "Export". Name this file oldDrivers32 and save it to your desktop. This can be deleted once we are sure it's no longer needed.

Right click on Drivers32 again, point to "New", and choose "String Value". Name this new string wavemapper. Double click on the wavemapper string you just created and, in the "Value" field, type msacm32.drv...click "Ok". Close Registry Editor.

Reboot and try the videos again. Do you now have the audio?

wannabe1

dumfounded

dumfounded

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hello wannabe1
I thank you for trying to help but after following your instructions I found that wavemapper was already there with msacm32.drv in the "value" field so I named the new string wavemapper. as it would not accept it without some sort of change to it's name. Now I have a new problem, when I tried to reboot I got the screen which gives you the option of starting in SAFE MODE. SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING. SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT. LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIURATION. START WINDOWS NORMALLY. I have tried them all but I'm stuck in a loop and just keep getting the same screen all the time. What do I do now? Needless to say I'm using a different machine to send you this. Please help before I pull all of my hair out. :) :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Follow the procedure I had area 51 do in his topic. This will move you back to an older registry. It should get you running, but we'll still have to look into the internet sound problem.

System Restore from RC.

dumfounded

dumfounded

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hello again Wannabe,
dumfounded again. I have followed the steps in Area 51's thread but it's not working, when I get to cd system~1\_resto~1 it tells me access is denied.
I tried starting again and entered the password but that just kept telling me it was invalid

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you using the RC.iso disk or do you have the XP installation cd?

dumfounded

dumfounded

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi Wannabe
I'm using my instalation disk. I have got something called miracle disc but have not as yet learnt how to use it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
See if you can run this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will use your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's.

dumfounded

dumfounded

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi, sorry it's me again I've tried following the instructions you gave Area 51 yet again and IT'S WORKED!! heaven knows what I was doing wrong, probably missed a space or something aqually as stupid, anyway I'm back in. Now I've lost my cd drives, I've tried un-installing and re-installing but if I install automatically it says it could not find a better match and if I install from a specific location it says the driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39). Is there a way round this or should I just re-format C? I've been on to the Lite-On website for driver downloads, they com in win-rar, but when I try to open the file it says "No matched drive detected. This is only for LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S drive. That is the drive I have it picks it up as such when I try to do a hardware install. What do I do next?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

dumfounded

dumfounded

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I tried system restore on 8 different dates but to no avail finally I tried it in safe mode and it seems to have worked. Now I've lost my wireless connection.
I'll let you know when I've got it back then perhaps you can help me with my original problem, internet and system sound.