Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashes on startup

• Please log in to reply

phoenixwarrior

phoenixwarrior

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm new to this forum and wanted to say hello to everyone. That said I really hope you can help me.

The other day i left my computer on over night, when I woke the next morning the computer was frozen. I restarted the system and it started up and froze about 10 mins after I startes the system. I tried to restart again and again and sometimes it reaches windows and freezes after a few minutes, other times it doesn't even make it past the BIOS screen. I tried to reinstall windows and the system froze again while loading the windows installer. I removed the RAM and reinstalled it but it didn't help.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Tom.

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hello phoenixwarrior,

Have you recently installed software, a new piece of hardware, or updated/removed hardware drivers?

Also, these symptoms are also an indication of a failing piece of hardware, so what you may want to do is obtain a diagnostic tool such as Ultimate Boot CD and run several tests to make sure certain pieces of hardware are functioning correctly(such as RAM and hard drive). Once that is done, you can narrow down your list to which pieces of hardware may be failing. Hopefully someone else may be able to give you some advice on diagnostic utilities because I've only used Ultimate Boot Disk so far.

phoenixwarrior

phoenixwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks 3quilibrium for your fast reply.
However now the computer won't boot past the POST. I'm trying to figure out what element might be damaged. I'm hoping that it's not the HD as there is alot of stuff on it that I would have a huge amount of trouble replacing. Does anyone have any idea which element might be causing the problem?
Thanks.

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Are you getting any beep codes as the computer boots up, other than the beep that usually indicates post test.
Also, if it were a failed hard drive I doubt it would be the cause of not letting your system bootup even past the post test.
At this point and time I would have to say that the ram is most likely the culprit that's bogging down your system. Try switching out your sticks of ram and see if your computer boots up on just 1 stick. Basically just do a trial and error and you might end up finding that one of the sticks of ram is bad.

Edited by 3quilibrium, 23 April 2008 - 05:10 PM.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
You might want to try to boot with only motherboard (with power supply, processor and heatsink of course), vga card if needed, and also a stick of ram.. plus monitor.. no keyboard, mouse, hard-disk, optical drives needed.. If you can boot into POST, then those item should be okay and you can troubleshoot from there :)