Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error when restarting XP

• Please log in to reply

Sic

Sic

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi.

I've been having this issue for months now.. I wasn't just able to fix it earlier because I'm still waiting for the new Windows XP disk I ordered.

Ok a bit info:

Intel Core Duo
80GB HDD
1GB RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2
Okay so when I restart my computer I get this error after the POST message:

Windows Could Not Start Because the Following File Is Missing or Corrupt: \Winnt\System32\Config\System

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269075

I tried the solution microsoft said there but it all requires a Windows XP Install Disk which I don't have back those days.. I just got the CD the other day, hoping that it will solve this..

Ok so I decided that I'll just reformat and install a fresh XP on the Hard drive.. So the installation went fine and now my system is all new.. new OS.. fresh Hard Drive. But when I restarted it, boom the error showed up again.

So what could be the problem? Microsoft says it could be a registry problem, but I already did a fresh install (reformatted HDD) so that means the registry gets new again.

If someone could help me solve this it's gladly appreciated.

Thanks alot.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It looks possible that the source of this problem is with the hardware. Please try to reset the cmos and double check every cable connection within the computer.

Try to clear the BIOS by doing this:Disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error or some other message. If you do, enter BIOS and set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS. You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button. Look for what key you have to press to enter setup.

Sic

Sic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Okay mate thanks for the suggestion.

I'll try that.. but almost all the hardware are new.. the HDD is new and the optical drive is new.. I already removed the floppy drive so it's only the HDD and the DVD writer connected to the MoBo/

I'll try removing the CMOS batter now..

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problem you have is very confusing because it looks clearly related to windows. In looking in other places I came across a case in which one of the cable going out of the power supply unit was not connected properly, causing identical problem. It was either loose or had a bent pin, I am not sure. What I suggest is that you disconnect everything which is not essential, clear the cmos and hopefully the source of the problem will be discoverd.

Sic

Sic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,

Ok there's going to be some delays.. I'm at my uni now and my desktop's back home.. I'll try doing these when I get home 2 days after..

. In looking in other places I came across a case in which one of the cable going out of the power supply unit was not connected properly, causing identical problem

What do you mean? The PS cables that are 'not' connected? Or the cables that are connected..

The power supply cables only connects to my HDD and the DVD writer.. do you mean the 'other' cables which are not connected could be damaged and thus creating this error?

What I suggest is that you disconnect everything which is not essential, clear the cmos and hopefully the source of the problem will be discoverd.

Ok.. so I'll try connecting the HDD only.. I'll be back in a while..

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There was no mentioning of which cable wasn't connected properly. It could be the the main, large connection, the 12 volt, 4 pin connection to the motherboard or one of the molex connectors to drives and case fans.

Sic

Sic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ok TNX man ill check on that tom.