Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with turning Windows XP on..

• Please log in to reply

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hey everyone, I am new here, and I am having trouble turning my Windows XP on, because I wanted to reset my computer to factory settings but i think i pressed the wrong button.. So, now when i turn my pc on, it goes to the recovery console and when i type exit it, it restarts my pc and it goes right back to recovery console..

Any help?

Thanks,
Danny

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Try tapping F8 key repeatedly (about once every second) as soon as you switch on the PC.
You should hopefully get to the "Advanced Startup Options" , two of which will be
"Start Windows Normally" and "Last known good configuration"
Highlight one of those and press [Enter]

Either should get Windows up and running again, although it won't necessarily fix the issue you were having that
made you want to perform a factory reset. Perhaps you may want to tell us what the initial reason was? It may
be possible to fix it without a reset.

Edited by pip22, 23 April 2008 - 02:33 PM.

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Try tapping F8 key repeatedly (about once every second) as soon as you switch on the PC.
You should hopefully get to the "Advanced Startup Options" , two of which will be
"Start Windows Normally" and "Last known good configuration"
Highlight one of those and press [Enter]

Either should get Windows up and running again, although it won't necessarily fix the issue you were having that
made you want to perform a factory reset. Perhaps you may want to tell us what the initial reason was? It may
be possible to fix it without a reset.

Okay, thank you for getting me out of the recovery console.. But now I still have to figure out how to reset my computer to factory settings, because it is weird now, I used to be able to just tap F10 repeatedly and it would go to the thing that resets your PC to factory settings.. But, now when I press F10 repeatedly it goes to something black like the command prompt, and it says Error: No Disk or something like that..

[EDIT]
Okay, now when I restart my computer or turn it on, it still goes to Recovery console... So, I'm guessing I will have to press F8 all the time when I want to go to the normal mode or whatever? Or is there a way I can delete the Recovery console one or at least set the normal one to my default one?

Edited by xoskullxo13, 25 April 2008 - 12:17 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what is the make and model of your computer..
are you sure it was F10 ...and not F11 or F12 to restore to factory settings..or maybe Esc + F10
its usually on the first screen you see....down at the bottom...

Edited by happyrck, 26 April 2008 - 06:28 AM.

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

what is the make and model of your computer..
are you sure it was F10 ...and not F11 or F12 to restore to factory settings..or maybe Esc + F10
its usually on the first screen you see....down at the bottom...

when my PC first turns on, it says F10 = System Recovery which is restore to factory settings..

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
there is no need to quote what I posted...just reply and please answer any and ALL questions
AGAIN...what is the make and model of your computer..

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Sorry for quoting, but anyways, my computer is an Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP3...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
my computer is an Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP3

Nope, that's the operating system you are running. Your computer will probably be a Dell or HP or Compaq or Emachines something or other. That's the info Happyrck is looking for.

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ohh, lol, then it is Compaq :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
and please answer any and ALL questions
AGAIN...what is the make and model of your computer..

Advertisements

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well, all i know is mine is a Compaq Microsoft HP Windows XP Media Center Edition System Pack 2 Version 2002.... Is that any good information? If not can you tell me where I can look on my computer to find what it is..?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look on the case...it will say something like Pavilion a6400z

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well, im looking at the little packet that came with my computer, and there is one little booklet that only says "My Compaq Presario PC" is that what you need? :S

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
nope

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Please don't be offended by this, but I'm very concerned that if you can't find the model number of your PC, which will be plainly visible somewhere on the PC itself, then you may have problems carrying out any directions provided to resolve your problem.

There are literally several hundred different Compaq Presario model numbers in use today.

Maybe this is a good time to ask for assistance from someone you know?

If you don't want to do this, but want to continue, that's okay too but it may take awhile and the end result may be that you will need assistance anyway. Your call.

BTW: The model number should also be on a tag affixed to your PC, usually in the back if it's a desktop system or on the bottom if it's a laptop. It is often on the same tag as the serial number.