Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with turning Windows XP on..

• Please log in to reply

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well I can't find it...........

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Very weird indeed :) The Compaq web site says:

On your product

You can find your model name/number on the product box. Just turn your product over, the model name and number usually appears just above the serial number.

Did you receive any recovery CD with the computer or is it just the recovery partition you used to access via F10? If the latter, then perhaps ordering a recovery CD from Compaq will allow you to reset everything to factory state.

Lets also try this. Download either of these and create a bootable CD from the .iso file

XP Recovery Console
Another XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk c: /r

Allow it to complete undisturbed.

Then try pressing F10 during the next boot, see if you get to the recovery partition as you used to.

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Okay, I looked under it, and it says Presario SR2000....

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You're real close :)

So this is a laptop then. There should be two letters after the SR2000, like FR, DL, EL, EN, etc. To see why this is important, look at this web page:

http://h20180.www2.h...a...&submit.y=0

Edited by Ztruker, 01 May 2008 - 12:20 PM.

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well actually, my computer is a Desktop computer not a laptop...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this your machine? Presario 2000z

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! YES THAT IS MY COMPUTER!!!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, according to the Maintenance Guide, you would press F10 during early boot, as you previously described. Since this does not seem to be working (timing is critical, you have to press it when the Compaq logo is first displayed or it won't work), did you ever create the Recovery CDs which is one of the options in the PC Help & Tools folder, called Compaq Recovery CD-DVD Creator? If yes, boot the CD, it should work exactly as the F10 recovery worked.

Also, did you ever run chkdsk as I described in my previous post? That may be all that is needed to get the hard drive functional again so F10 will work.

The manuals for your PC are here: http://h10025.www1.h...C...ct=3244858

PC Troubleshooting & Maintenance Guide is the first one.