Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Fraud

• Please log in to reply

Jo Cole

Jo Cole

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, don't know whether this is the right topic but I've recently been the victim of two episodes of fraud after making purchases over the net even though they were supposedly secure sites. Is there any way I can remove all my credit card details etc., from my hard drive or am I being stupid !! Hope someone can help Thanks

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would suggest letting this forum's Malware people run you through their routine to see if you may have key loggers and other malware that may have recorded and sent your personal data. There are some Guides to follow.

I would also report the problem to those sites where you had the problems and let them use their more sophisticated checks on their own sites. I don't suppose the police/FBI got involved on checking? My bank was willing to go the whole route, but I got my money back so no charges filed.

Hopefully, there will be other replies by people with more experience in this.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 23 April 2008 - 03:26 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I can put you through a battery of tests to check for keyloggers/backdoor bots or anything else that may be responsible

Just follow Major Paynes instructions and then we will go from there

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Jo Cole...

To remove your credit card information from your machine now is a bit like closing the barn door after the horse gets out. I would suggest you call your credit card company and have them issue you a new card with a new number. It's a hassle, I know, but it's better than having to deal with constantly having to clear up unauthorized charges to the current card. Who knows who all has the information by now.

I use a prepay card for internet transactions. If someone manages to get the information, it's not tied to a bank account or credit line and all they can get is the amount currently loaded on the card. There are several companies that offer reloadable prepaid cards...Walmart and Net Spend are two I am familiar with.

I would also suggest following Rorschach112 and Major Payne's advice concerning the malware forum. There are all kinds of malicious softwares out there that will reveal your information to others...unscrupulous folks who would like nothing better than to wipe out your bank account.

Staying secure on the internet is becoming increasingly difficult as malware becomes more and more sophisticated. Common sense is your best defense and having good security programs installed on your machine is increasingly vital to keeping your data secure. There are times when the only way to assure that your information is not available to others by way of your computer is to format and reinstall the operating system.

I hope we have you helped in some small measure.

wannabe1

Jo Cole

Jo Cole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Can't thank you all enough for your replies. The credit card fraud was only discovered when I received a statement from my credit card company..two payments made for goods I have never ordered or received. The card company are going to investigate this for me so hopefully I will be reimbursed for the £350 someone spent on my behalf!!! I have been told by the credit card company that there is no point in reporting it to the Police over here (UK) as they are not interested in pursuing matters like this...

Anyway, I'll follow all the advice given to me by you all and the idea of getting a prepayment card to use just on the internet is a great idea. I'll also sort one of them out. Other than that I think I'll go back to paying the old fashioned way, either cheque or cash !

Once again many thanks and I'll let you know how things go.

Jo Cole