Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with changing my router's Ip

• Please log in to reply

reload147

reload147

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
:) I give up trying to find it on google it only show softwares.... But I accept softwares but they r not free :) .....
I got Netgear 54 mbps wireless router
WGR614v6

Ok my Cable modem is conncted to router and then router to CPU...

So what do I have to do to change my router's IP
By the way I accept softwares from this forum.... I TRUST

Advertisements

Scribbles

Scribbles

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hey there Reload147, i dun't know if this will be much help but this is how i do it on a netgear.

open your web browser and type this: 192.168.0.1

This should connect you to your router, if prompt for a user name and password and you don't know it, try these variations.

Username: admin

password: admin

Username: admin

password: password

ok, so say your into your router what you want to do is goto Lan ip setup.

the first ip should be the one used to connect to your router.

now the 192.168 have to stay the same but im sure you can change the .0.1 to what ever you like,

now the subnet mask should change automatically.

Hit apply and thats it done

your router ip address is changed

Just make sure its not the same as the DHCP server ip if you have it enabled

Hope this helped,

Scribbles

Edited by Scribbles, 23 April 2008 - 03:11 PM.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Technically there are two IP's when talking about a router. You have the LAN IP address, which you can consider the inside IP and then you have the WAN IP address which is what the rest of the world sees. Scribbles directions will help you change the inside address of your router, but I'm thinking you were wanting to change the outside IP. To accomplish that, you just need to unplug your modem for a couple of hours and then hook it back up.

Most ISPs issue IPs based on the MAC address that was last connected. When an IP is issued to a computer, the ISP will reserve that IP for that MAC for a set amount of time. If that computer goes offline for greater amount of time than the time out limit, it will receive a new IP upon connecting.

I hope this made sense. If not, let me know.

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Gravity I think..... you might be wrong.....
It shows different Ip on Lan setting and different on this
reload147.JPG

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
First, it's never a good idea to post your IP in text or in an image on the Internet.

Secondly, I'm not sure what you think I'm wrong about. What you've posted here is your "outside" IP settings or in this case Internet IP settings. This is all correct and you don't have to change anything on the router itself to change your outside IP, all you have to do is unplug it for a couple of hours while the ISP known MAC expires.

Are you trying to change the outside IP or the inside IP of the router?

Edit: On second review of your post, the outside (Internet) IP and the inside (LAN) ip will always be different. That's basically how NAT works, but that's another post haha.

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 24 April 2008 - 04:32 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Gravity was correct in the first instance.
The IP posted was that which the internet provider assigned to the original poster. To change this the only way to do it is to power off the router and leave it off for a few minutes/hours/days? depending on the ISP policy. Some hang on to IP addresses for a while and some actually give you a static IP. If your provider gives you a static IP then you can leave your router off forever and a day and it will not change.

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
soory I never meant Gravity :) I meant Neil
I meant like you know like websites like whats my Ip.com shows Ip I menat that Ip dont know if it's inside or outside one.....
So, that means like I always turn my whole thing all night and I always get random Ip each day...
And thanks for blackning up my Ip on the pic
THATS SOO CWL!!

THANX!!

Edited by reload147, 25 April 2008 - 11:11 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sites such as whatsmyip.org tell you the IP address between your router and the internet provider. They have no way of knowing your internal IP (between your computer and your router).
Random IP numbers are normal and this behaviour is instigated by your provider.