Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Reconnect

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is your network card built into the motherboard or is it an addon PCI card? As I mentioned before, there may be a problem with the network card itself and replacing it may fix this problem. If you have another computer, you can borrow a network card from it and replace the one in this computer, then boot up and see what happens. If XP doesn't have a driver for that specific card you will need to download it from the internet and install it.

Alternatively, you could try the network card from this computer in a different computer, see if the same problem occurs. That will tell you whether the network card itself is good or bad.

Advertisements

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Okay, I went to get a network card from another computer, but realised that there is no where to put the network card on my computer because it appears to be built in (I don't know anything about motherboards and network cards) And there is this huge thing blocking any way of getting in there anyways.
I decided to try bringing my computer downstairs, where the internet is fine, and my computer didn't connect to the internet.
Then I brought a computer up to my room, where it connected in half a second.
Obviously then, it's my computer.

Those red dots, are where they lead to each other.
Just trying to be as descriptive as I can be.

Big blocking thing

Posted Image

Outside of computer

Posted Image

Inside computer
Posted Image

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Looks like you have plenty of room to add a network card. You will have to remove whatever is in the way to do so.

In the 2nd picture, it looks like you have a video card with two digital connectors and perhaps an S_Video connector and to the far right is a sound card. There are 3 fillers still in place, that is where you would place a PCI Network card. You remove (or knock out) one of the fillers to make room for the card. It has to be installed from the inside so you will have to remove the large, black plastic cover to get at the area.

If you are unsure of what you are doing, please find someone to help. I don't want you to do anything that will damage the computer. It's not difficult, just takes a bit of patience and being careful.