Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet connection disabled

• Please log in to reply

brazensinner

brazensinner

• Pip
  • 1 posts

About two weeks ago my hubby reformatted our hard drive due to a virus. Since then whenever I try to install an anti virus program(I've tried a few) as soon as the install is complete and I reboot I loose my internet connection (I have dsl) When I restore to before install internet connection is also restored I've tried speaking with dsl tech support and gotten no help they tell me to contact the software manufacturer....any ideas I don't like running my system without ANY protection

Thanks fpr your help

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Connecting to the internet without an antivirus package installed is not anything like as risky as having no firewall installed. It only becomes an issue when you download files from anywhere or receive email attachments -- since these are the main carriers of viruses. Still, to tell you never to download anything or open any email attachments and you'll be okay is neither practical nor very helpful, so of course I appreciate the need to fix your problem.

I think before you go any further, and since you say you did have a virus, it's possible other malware has since entered your PC somehow since formatting. You should install and run this free utility called "HijackThis" : http://www.spywarein....php#hijackthis

Basically what it does (when you run it) is detect everything that's currently running on the computer, including hidden processes such as 'stealth' type malware. Open HijackThis and click "Do A System Scan and Save A Log File". It then scans your system and creates a 'log' file listing all those processes. Obviously it takes a trained eye to know what processes are safe and normal and which are not. That's where we come in. Post the log file to us, preferrably as an attachment. But please be sure to post it on the following Malware section only, explaining your internet problem briefly again for the benefit of the staff there who don't yet know anything about it. Post it here: http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

After posting it, please be patient as HJT logs are now being posted on a daily basis due to an increase in malware issues and analysing each one takes time.

Even if the malware staff give your PC a 'clean bill of health' with no fix to the problem, at least we got that out of the way first so we know it can't be malware.
In that sense we have made progress already.

Edited by pip22, 24 April 2008 - 04:24 AM.