Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

New motherboard vs. SATA and RAID.

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I've just been reading some of the threads below as well as other places on the web and am a little confused.
I'm waiting for the little extra cash from Uncle Sam's economic incentive to get my new mobo and cpu. Going w/Core2 Dui cpu and appropriate board.
And I'm really surprised by the fact that SATA and RAID have been around for a couple of years and yet some of the mobo's BIOS don't have the ability to handle SATA hard drives without having to install new drivers or BIOS updates.
I've looked at some more boards at places like Newegg, but haven't seen any reference to mobo's that will handle SATA and RAID configuration without having make modifications.
Are there good quality boards, such as Asus, Gigabyte, Abit that can handle SATA etc right out of the box?
And could you tell me what it is that I'm missing when I look at the specs that would indicate that a board does what I'm asking about.
I'm tired. Hope I made some sense.
Thanks for any help.

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Pretty much any motherboard which has SATA connectors will support SATA hard drives via plug-and-play (no special driver installation or anything). Any motherboard which lists RAID support will support RAID, though typically the installation of RAID drivers (included with motherboard) is required before the installation of the operating system.