Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

me dvd problem

• Please log in to reply

ambmy9

ambmy9

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I have a me computer that I am trying to get to read dvd-r that say they are compatible with 1x to 16x, but every time i try and put one in it it says theres no cd in the drive...i was wondering if there was a program i could use to et it to recognize it or if I need to put a newer cd rom in it to make it work. :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ambmy9...

Is the optical drive you have a dvd-rom drive? Or is it a cd-rom?

Most machines old enough to be running ME would have only a cd-rom drive installed. Some of the later ones may have cd-r/rw drives in them, but unless a dvd-rom drive has been added, the machine is likely using a cd-rom. If that's the case, you will have to get yourself a dvd drive in order to read dvd disks.

If you DO have a dvd drive installed, a good first step would be to run the Microsoft Autoplay Repair Wizard and see if it finds any incorrect registry settings. If that doesn't work, we'll dig a little deeper for the problem.

Note: This tool is designed for XP and may not run on earlier versions of ME. It will run on some of the later versions depending on what updates are installed. If it won't run on your version, let me know and we'll look at the registry settings manually.

wannabe1

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I didnt think of that ...it is just a cd-rom I found a dvd one on newegg that is compatible thats for the help. :)