Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp mother board problems

• Please log in to reply

ambmy9

ambmy9

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I have a e machine xp machine that has all of a sudden kind of stopped working. I can hear it start up when I press the power and the fans start up but thats all that happens. The screen stays blank and fans sound really loud like when it used to load, but then the fans would settle down, now they dont; they just keep running and running really loud. I know its not the monitor, because I have it hooked to another pc now and its working fine. Also the xp has on board video, I am thinking its the motherboard but I wanted to see if any one else has had this problem, and how they fixed it. :)

Advertisements

mark357g

mark357g

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had the same problem with an Emachine. The motherboard for my computer was no longer produced so
the the most cost effective option for me was to buy another computer and add my old hard drive to it.

Zuarfia

Zuarfia

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Open your computer check the capacitators happened to me as well...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you get into the bios...tap the delete key once per second as soon as you turn the power on
can you get into safe mode...tap the F8 key once per second as soon as you turn the power on..
if you can't do either of these...try a different power supply...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Catch-all eMachines solutions:

Buy yourself a new power supply and a new motherboard. I reckon your machine is about three years old and your power supply has cooked the main board.

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Ya it is about three years old I did put in a naother mother board just a a cheapy off of newegg seems to be fine now. The power source is 300 watt, but i have been thinking of getting a new power source for it and some new fans to help keep it all cooler in side the case. I also found memory module fans for only 99 cent its on sale on www.ewiz.com if any one wants to check them out too. They got a lot of good reviews. :)