Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

anti spyware wipe out hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

catskillflower

catskillflower

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hello...first i would like to thank you all for being here and offering your services...it is awesome of you...

so as always whenever i go to my brothers house it is fix his PC time...they have kids and do as kids do...everytime i go there they have new spyware stuff on their PC...so as always i go to add remove programs and go to remove the program live anti spyware 2.1....there was a thingy on the screen that will not go away...his girlfriend says it has been there for weeks...so i start to remove program and it says before i remove it i have to remove norton ghost i think it was....i look at the file and it hasn't been used since 2006...not to mention she has no anti virus but the AVG which i installed for her a few weeks ago....so i remove both programs and as promted to reboot the computer i do that and join them for dinner....when i go back to the PC there is a blue screen there that says.....

c0000135 unable to locate componant
failed to start due to application basedbpro32 not found
re-installing may fix this problem...

i ask her for her start up discs ....she doesn't have a clue where they are...i am hoping i just have to put the windows CD in....she is in nursing school and needs her PC for research and papers...i do have all the discs...her PC is newer then mine but it is XP so shouldn't make a diff right? or is that even what i need...i feel horrible about this...and this has never happened to me before....i thought i was pretty savy...i did try to start the PC in safe mode but kept going right back to the same blue screen....what can i do?
thanks a million...donation OTW
donna
catskillflower

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello catskillflower...

There are a few options open to us, but first...what kind of computer are we working on? Is the machine your disks are for the same kind of machine as the broken one?

wannabe1

catskillflower

catskillflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi...thanks for answering....she is running a dell...i am not sure if it is the exact same as mine....but we are both also running windows xp

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are the disks you have for a Dell, too?

If they are Dell disks, we'll need the operating system disk, but not the driver/application disk. Do you have that and the valid product key from the machine we're working on?

catskillflower

catskillflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi...

i still have all of my discs....but i am not sure if i understand what a valid product key is....????

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
On a Dell, the product key will be located on the left side panel, bottom rear (desktop machine)...or on the bottom of laptop machines. It's a 25 character alpha-numeric code (XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX).

If we need to do a repair install, you'll need the key for the broken machine only.

First, though, let's see if we can get a command prompt. Start the machine and tap the F8 key as it boots. You may see a Dell Boot Options screen...if you get that, cancel it (Esc key...I think) and continue tapping the F8 key until you get a black "Advanced Boot Options" screen (Safe Mode options). Use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and press "Enter".

If it boots to Safe Mode with a command session window open, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press "Enter". The System Restore window should open. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state. Restore points will appear as bold dates on the calendar.

Let me know if you are able to do this.

catskillflower

catskillflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
wow...you are VERY good...i do not have the machine w/ me tho....it is at their house...i asked them to bring it home...you have helped me in the past....and told them it would be fixed...they said that i did enough damage and chuckled....but i will print everything you say to do....and try it first thing in the AM....

catskillflower

catskillflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
if this doesn't work...should i install the disc...?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If the System Restore doesn't work, or you are unable to boot to Safe Mode...try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's. It is on Dell cd's, though.

catskillflower

catskillflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
excellent....i thank you very much for your time....you all truly are amazing people...i will let you know if it works...once again HUGE thank you's...
donna