Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How well does 20 pin to 24 pin PSU adapters work?

• Please log in to reply

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have an 5 years old (never used) Antec 430 watt PSU, that has a 20 pin mobo connector. My mobo (GA-P35-DS3L) will need a 24 pin connector. I found this product:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812183045 will this solve my problem, or is buying a modern PSU the only solution.
A similar problem is I only have one 4 pin CPU power connector, but the Thermaltake adapters will help that as well ???
I only now discovered this issue. I had used the power supply calculator to select the components I could use and still have head room left over with a 430 PSU.

Advertisements

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Update:
My mobo CPU only requires a 4 pin connector, so I'm covered there.
I just ordered a 20 pin to 24 pin ATX PSU power supply adapter cable off of Ebay.
I hope this works???

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
It should work.. don't worry.. I think if you just use 20-pin, it also should work, but you might stress the +12v rail..

Err.. 5-year old -never used- PSU?? you might want to try it first.. :)

Edited by fenzodahl512, 24 April 2008 - 10:30 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Personally I place no credence in (internal) adaptors of any kind whatsoever. They complicate the setup of a system.

A 20 pin connector will work perfectly happily on a 24 pin board and it will only be able to be locked at one end of the block. When you come to replace the power supply pretty much all of them come 24-pin anyway so eventually it won't matter.

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have used one of these in the past. Probably the same one you ordered off of ebay.
It works fine....basically it just re-wires the other couple slots you need by piggy backing off some of the original 20 pin wires.
It's a good "get it going" fix....but you may want to look at upgrading your PSU at a later date.
I wouldn't leave it in there as a perma-fix.....but it won't blow it up or anything! :))

carl

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for all your reply's.
I've come to the conclusion that I have to buy a new PSU.
This one only offers 20amps (12v rail) and the 9600GT I'm getting requires 26 amps minimum.