Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC crashing while playing pc game Oblivion

• Please log in to reply

Brynn

Brynn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The error code I got was thus : bc code: 1000008e bcp1:c0000005 bcp2: de273547 bcp3: F114b590 bcp4:00000000 osver:5_1_2600 sp:2_0 product: 768_1

I have been at the Oblivion forums and they are at the end of what help they can provide me. This seemed the next logical place to check. My XP is properly updated. I have all the drivers and chipsets updated for my MOBO, my vid card and my audio card. I have my onboard Realtek disabled in the bios and the software is uninstalled. I have put a /3gb toggle in my boot.ini file and I have my pagefile size at 3gig. I have run both Spybot and AVG and have no spyware. I have run Registry Optimizer and fixed all the errors it gave.

I cannot comprehend why the game keeps crashing like this. I am loading my pc in cleanboot mode all the time now. I only get this problem while playing Oblivion. I loaded up another resource intensive game, on max settings, and got no such error. I have also reinstalled the game and it is completely updated as well. Still getting the crash. I just went into the event viewer and I have this info: Faulting application oblivion.exe, version 1.2.0.416, faulting module oblivion.exe, version 1.2.0.416, fault address 0x00098749. Half the time I am getting a physical memory dump blue screen and the other half the game just freezes, requiring a reboot. I also got a 0xc0000005 error, but don't really know what to do with it.

I am running AVG antivirus.

I believe this to be a software problem, but I cannot determine what is interfearing.

Any help here is greatly appreciated. I realize this may be tough to do since it is in regards to this game only, but I believe in you geeks. :)

edited for additional info

Edited by Brynn, 24 April 2008 - 07:22 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I never played a video game in my life, not on, nor off, line, so please forgive my ignorance.

1: is the computer overclocked? Please set the BIOS to default values. Don't change anything except for boot priority.

2: Even better reset the cmos by unplugging the computer and removing the cmos battery for 10-15 minutes.

3: If the motherboard has built-in video and audio card please remove your add-ons and try to play the game with the built-in cards even if you get inferior results. Before playing reinstall all the motherboard drivers. Please use the ones on the disk that you got when you bought the computer, even if they are of older version.

4: It could help if we had some information about your hardware.

Brynn

Brynn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
When I registered to get on here there was a place to fill out my system specs, I thought that was so you all could see them, sorry about that.

No part of the pc is overclocked. I have reset the cmos. There was onboard sound, not onboard video. I got the error with the onboard sound. I get the error with the soundcard.

System specs:

Intel® Core™2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)

4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache

MOBO: 122-CK-NF68

EVGA nForce 680i SLI

Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640.0 MB RAM

Audigy SoundBlaster 2 audio card

LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H

QA2496M TOI153D SCSI CdRom Device

TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6402B {This is currently completely unplugged, and got the same results}

WDC WD40 00AAKS-00TMA SCSI Disk Device (400.09 GB) -- drive 0

Monitor: SHP SHARP HDMI [Sharp Aquos 32" 1080p] {The problem is not the TV as I tried it with a regular tube monitor and got the same results.}

{I also tried a different keyboard, and got the same results}

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have read a number of threads on other forums concerning your error message. No conclusions. It looks to me as if there is a conflict between the specific game and other drivers or program. The way to solve such problems is either by analyzing dump files, a process that I am not an expert with and which, even at the best of time, gives you about 50% correct answers, or by trial and error.

If you have, or can borrow, another video card please try to install and run the game with it. Alternatively, if you can move your video card to another computer and try it there please do so.