Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tempramental Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply

nezzy

nezzy

• Pip
  • 9 posts
HI Guys,

I have just moved into a friends house.
He has internet through the provider "TalkTalk"

Initally he had

ADSL Connection 2 Meg
Free modem from Talk Talk (Not wireless)
Ethernet connection to his Desktop

However he always moaned about his connection cutting off etc...

When I moved in I set it up with a

(Not too old) Netgear DG 834 - Has always done the job for me in the past
I conected his PC directly to this box, then connected the Buffalo Airstation WHR-G545 (Used to have a cable connection) to this box so I could access the internet wirelessly.

However the connection is still bad for both of us, Msn will log me in and out 15 times an hour web pages come up when they want and dont even speak to me about downloads via torrents or offical sites. (Although he is connected directly to the box he also has these problems)

I have spoke to the ISP and they "assure" me that everything is okay from their end?

Any help pease?

Thanks

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
The first thing you should check is to make sure that you have DSL filters on all of the phone lines in the house. If you don't have filters on all the phone lines, it could cause some issues.

nezzy

nezzy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes there is a DSL filer on the phoneline.

Im stumped, it must be the ISP...

Edited by nezzy, 24 April 2008 - 08:04 AM.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Just remember that a filter has to be on every phone that is in your house. Not just one phone line.

In any case, I would call the ISP and tell them to replace your modem, because that's what it sounds like to me.

nezzy

nezzy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the info.

However im confused about the DSL filter on every phone socket, we have 3 sockets 2 with just a phone and one with the DSL filter giving connecting to the modem and phone.

How would adding filters onto the other two benfit the situation?

Cheers

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
With DSL, you have to put a filter on every phone or analog device (fax, phone modem, etc) that you have otherwise you will get some sort of interference. I don't know the specifics but I'm sure you can Google it.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/DSL_filter

Without the installation of DSL filters, high-frequency signals or echoes from analog devices can result in reduced performance and connection problems with DSL service, and the high-frequency signals from the DSL service can result in line noise and other issues for analog devices.

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 24 April 2008 - 01:14 PM.