Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious Problem?

• Please log in to reply

George_M

George_M

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone. This is my first topic on geekstogo.com but i am really desperate for a solution to my problem, and by having a look around the forums you guys seem really proffesionall and helpful. I am not new to computers but i am rather new to viruses and spyware.

My problem is the following:

Since two days ago, my computer keeps buzzing, which means that the temperature is too high or too much RAM is being used. Since i have 2 gig ram this seems rather weird to me. When i check the task manager, i see 8 or more instances of svchost.exe. Also, new instances of Internet explorer keep coming up without me doing anything which i believe is slowing down my PC. On my startup i also have winlogon.exe which i think is a virus.

Can anyone pls guide me or help me to get through this? Any kind of help is appreciated :)

PS: Since i am only a student i cant really afford to buy any software, so any free software would be perfect.

Great forum/website.

Thx in advance

Advertisements

Buji

Buji

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
George M,

The list of programs you listed, there is no need to worry. Winlogon.exe is just that "WINDOWS LOG ON". Svchost.exe is what handles processes executed from .DLL files (which are part of the windows operating system). Instances of iexplorer.exe popping up sounds like you have some sort of spyware on your computer. I would run a virus scan, and see what that tells you. As far as the noise, if it is a desktop, can you open the side, and find out exactly what is making the noise? It should either be, your Power Supply. a Hard Drive, or a Disc Drive. Hope this helps, good luck - Buji

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the buzzing can be lint or a dust bunny in one of the fans..
open the case after unplugging from the wall and give it a good cleaning ...lowdown is here
be ESD safe
give us the make and model of your computer...
have you installed any new hardware or software recently

Buji

Buji

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
WOW, I can't believe I forgot about the fans.... lol. My bad George M, I hope I didnt have you worried. - Buji

George_M

George_M

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thx for the help guys.

But i installed an extra fan a few months back and iv never had any problems with heat.

Also, which software do you reccomend me to use for spyware removal?

Currently im using Adaware and SpyBot

Any ideas?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...