Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Access Problems

• Please log in to reply

Kileykb

Kileykb

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Why am I having trouble accessing certain websites like msn and aol? We just had a new server installed at our office. Now we can't always load certain pages like aol and msn at certain times. Sometimes we can get in fine. Other times they don't work. When one doesn't work all of them don't work. It seems to be higher security, larger sites like aol and msn and some of the websites we access that require security clearance or certificates. We don't have trouble accessing lower security websites like blog etc. Is there a firewall or a internet setting that has been changed?

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
When you are unable to access these sites do you get any kind of error message? Are you using IE7 to access these sites?

Kileykb

Kileykb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I get the typical page cannot be displayed screen.

Some of the computers are running Internet Explorer 7 and others are running Internet Explorer 6.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
look in your internet options.....advance tab....see ir show friendly urls is checked....the same for http 1.1 settings
click apply ok to close........restart your browser

Internet options can be found on tools on IE7 browser or in your control panel

Kileykb

Kileykb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Friendly urls was not checked so I checked it. Http 1.1 settings had one checked. The second one (proxy connections) was not checked so I checked that.

I'm not sure if it has worked yet because the problem is so sporadic that it will take a while for me to notice.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
close your browser after you check mark them it takes effect after that

Kileykb

Kileykb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It didn't work. I actually turned the computer off overnight and turned it on the next day. Some websites some of the time are not working.

I'm not sure if it's different websites now or I am just using different websites. Again where it doesn't happen all the time and I am not always using the same websites it is hard to figure it out.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
if your being redirected to different web pages you should get checked from a malware expert......
just to be on the safe side...there are some undesirables out there.... you could start here

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

post a hijackthis log in the MALWARE forum
your waiting can be up to 3 days and do not respond to your own topic until you are requested too

Edited by Mr Freeze, 25 April 2008 - 10:09 AM.

Kileykb

Kileykb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry. I wasn't clear in my last post. I am not being redirected to other websites. The error is still that certain web pages don't load and say that page cannot be displayed on the screen instead.

What I meant was that I am not sure if the original sites like msn and aol are still not working. I haven't had trouble with them today, but I've found other websites I used for work that I didn't notice as a problem before are now not working. Like I said it is hard to judge if I just hadn't noticed those websites are problems before because the occurence is only occasional and I am not always at the same website, or if the original problem is partially corrected but still needs additional help.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
wondering if its winsock causing problems

heres one fix from wikihowto

http://www.wikihow.c...sock-and-TCP/IP

and another one you can run after you download it

http://www.softpedia...inSockFix.shtml

Kileykb

Kileykb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I used both the applications about Winsock and TCP/IP. The first one, wikihowto, I used the automatic application to reset everything because I didn't think I would have much luck doing it on my own. That worked fine and after I restart the computer the interenet was still working.

It did not help the problem because sometimes websites like msn say the page cannot be displayed.

I tried to use the second application at softpedia. When I tried to run the application, I got an error message that read
c:\document and settings\stat005.marchionne\desktop\winsockfix.exe is not a valid win32 application

By the way, I had trouble linking to both the websites and got the page cannot be displayed error message. I was eventually able to connect.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Someone here should have mentioned here earlier that you should actually ask your IT people at your office to help you fix the problem. Especially since you are most likely on a company computer and they probably have rules against what you can and cant do to the computers, such as changing settings. we cannot do much else here as we dont know how your company has set up their computer network.Your computer department will be glad to help you with any problems you are facing in respect to your company computers, and their corporate network.

Good Luck!

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
doesnt appear to be much more
its the server thats causing problems
your administrator can fix server

Kileykb

Kileykb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for everyone's input in any case. I had a feeling the addition of a server in the equation and the subsequent networking would make it hard to figure out the problem on a message board.

As for the 'IT department', I am, for all intents and purposes, the IT department at the company. It's a family run business. Although since we just purchased a $10k server and had it installed by the network administrators, you'd think they'd be more helpful in trying to fix our problems. We do have call in to them to help us, but they have been slow responding.

Thanks again for your thoughts.