Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Dreaded Blue Screen!

• Please log in to reply

LeChefRene

LeChefRene

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I need a little help/advice. <_<

My parents were recently given an older (ancient might be the better word, LOL) computer. Since this is thier first, we thought it would be fine for them just to learn on. Anyway, it has a Pentim I-166 processor with 128 MB RAM and is loaded with Windows ME. When they got it, it didn't have a sound card or a modem, so my brother went out and got them one of each.

Because of the computer's age, the sound card had to be a 16 bit, so my brother got a Sound Blaster 16, by Creative Labs, and the modem is a US Robotics 56k fax modem.

Anyway, the modem installed fine, but during the sound card software installation, he says he got about 90% through the installation, when all of a sudden that "dreaded blue screen" appeared. It's blank with nothing on it, but he says you can see the cursor, and move the mouse, but nothing more.

He's tried to restart the computer, using a variety of methods (the power switch, the reset button, etc.) all to no avail. He says when the computer starts up, he gets the "Energy Star" screen in DOS, and it detects all the settings, etc., then it goes to the Windows ME startup screen, but then it reverts right back to the blank blue screen.

Can someone please advise me here? I'm not sure what to tell them to do next. The guy who gave them the computer also included a copy of Windows ME, but they have no start-up disk, that I'm aware of. I'm trying to help them long distance (I'm in MI, they're in FL), so I have to talk them through everything over the phone. Isn't there a way to reach the safe mode from the DOS screen at start-up that will let them finish the install, or even to re-install Windows ME?

Any and all help, advice, etc. is most appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!

Hugs,
Renι

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sounds like an IRQ conflict. Reformating and reinstalling will likely resolve it, and since it's a new computer to them they won't lose any user data, and will get to start with a fresh install. :D

You can find boot disks at www.bootdisk.com. Simply download and run the bootdisk for WindowsME, it will prompt for a blank disk, and will copy the needed files to it.

After booting to a command prompt, I'd first recommend formatting the drive, and then run Windows Setup. If you need assistance with either of these, please reply to this post.

One final comment. Windows ME is the worst release ever from Microsoft. <_< If you have access to Windows 98, it would be a better option.