Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Iomega ZipCD650 ATAPI

• Please log in to reply

Sinnen

Sinnen

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
When installing this CD Burner- it takes the place of my DVD drive as a CD drive.

This is no problem- as I don't use DVDs on my computer anyhow.

When ripping CDs with Express Rip, the program recognizes it.
Though- when trying to burn CDs with Express burn, the program has no idea where the Burner is.

I've installed drivers for the burner-
When looking into their support page; they say something about only using their defined programs for burning.

The thing is- I no longer have access to those programs.

Is there a way around this or am I just stupid?

Are there any other free Burning/Ripping programs I can use besides Express Burn/Rip?
They are only trial, and I hate uninstalling and reinstalling the programs.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The problem with some free or less well-known cd-burning software is the lack of support for some of the less popular brands of burners.
It's not a driver problem since Windows can see the drive and knows it's model name (presumably), it's just the burning application's
inability to recognise it. As it's an old model (the burner, that is) updating the application is unlikely to help.

There are other free burning programs here: http://vidmar.net/we...g-software.aspx

I have discovered that the very popular 'Nero Burning ROM' burning application has supported the Iomega CD650 since version 5..0.4.4 which was released in March 2001. So it's fair to assume that later versions should still support it (though they changed the burning engine since v5 so I can't guarantee it). Since Nero 7 (last years release) and Nero 8 (current) are ridiculously bloated if all you want is a cd-burning tool (Nero Burning ROM) My link will take you to version 6.0 which is split into three separate packages. All you need is 'Package 1". In any case, the latest version (8) won't run on Windows 98, and version 7 is also terribly bloated and takes forever to install even if you choose to install only a quarter of what's on offer. The reason it's now so bloated is because it has to compete with Roxio's Easy Media Creator which is also bloated, offering loads of stuff in an effort to be "jack of all trades". It's a shame Nero saw fit to go down the same road.

Nero 6 http://www.nero.com/...ero6-update.php

Please note although it refers to nero 6 as an 'Update' it is in fact a 'standalone' product which doesn't rely on a previous version to be present.
It will probably be a 30-day trial but at least you can check if it's compatible with your writer. You'll need to purchase a "serial number" from Nero.com
which removes the trial restriction. Can't see a way of doing that on their website so presumably there'll be a way to do it from within the trial interface.

Edited by pip22, 24 April 2008 - 03:37 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might find it easier and cheaper to get a used burner from a thrift shop or Goodwill store, or even a computer recycling place, than to find the software for such an old burner. I actually have the software disk for that, but it only burns 650mb disks which are no longer standard, so I haven't used it in a long time.