Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question regarding re-installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've been debating on whether to migrate you to the new operating system or spend hours trying to figure out which bit of registry is corrupt,,,or which software application is messing things up.

Let's remove a couple of things from the boot.ini file and see if we can boot to the old os in Safe Mode. I don't know that this will work, but it's worth a shot. Remove everything shown in red below...then click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save". Close all open windows and try to reboot into Safe Mode with the old operating system.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /maxmem=2048
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Do you have install disks for the applications currently installed on the old operating system?

Advertisements

Rexxy

Rexxy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I've been debating on whether to migrate you to the new operating system or spend hours trying to figure out which bit of registry is corrupt,,,or which software application is messing things up.

Let's remove a couple of things from the boot.ini file and see if we can boot to the old os in Safe Mode. I don't know that this will work, but it's worth a shot. Remove everything shown in red below...then click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save". Close all open windows and try to reboot into Safe Mode with the old operating system.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /maxmem=2048
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Do you have install disks for the applications currently installed on the old operating system?

Done.
Still got the blue screen.
Hmmm, well it really all depends. If I can get all the drivers etc moved over then it should be fine, right? Will my system pretty much be the same if I move everything over to the new OS?
If so, I'm willing to do that and save the hassle for another day, I feel bad taking up so much of your time :) I've noticed this OS(the one that works) runs extremely slow though, if I move everything over will this still happen?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Describe really slow. How long does it take to open a window...slightly longer than before? Or way longer than before?

Maybe it's a bad HDD causing all of this...or a corrupt partition. The blue screen you're getting really tells us very little. The 0x....7e BSOD is one of the really vague ones. There should be a qualifier message at the top of the blue screen like "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" or "usbccgp.sys - Address F9E2BB72 base at F9E28000, DateStamp 3d6ddc33" or any one of a hundred others. Knowing that might help to pin-point the problem.

Rexxy

Rexxy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Describe really slow. How long does it take to open a window...slightly longer than before? Or way longer than before?

Maybe it's a bad HDD causing all of this...or a corrupt partition. The blue screen you're getting really tells us very little. The 0x....7e BSOD is one of the really vague ones. There should be a qualifier message at the top of the blue screen like "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" or "usbccgp.sys - Address F9E2BB72 base at F9E28000, DateStamp 3d6ddc33" or any one of a hundred others. Knowing that might help to pin-point the problem.

I wish there was....nothing at all.
I'm thinking if I can get to system restore I can just grab a restore point, I can do that through safemode+cmd from my old OS, but I kept getting that setup error. Maybe since I've set up another OS the setup will count as finished?
I'll go try that.
But yeah, there's no error at all. just the 7e etc. And when I'm opening a folder etc it lags like crazy.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try to roll back the registry from Recovery Console. Seems like I've been using this technique a lot lately...it's a bit long and a little involved, but it has been very effective.

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console[. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1)...yours will likely be different as we want the old installation, perhaps 2...and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

If you run into a problem or have a question, please ask before proceeding with any given step.

Rexxy

Rexxy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Let's try to roll back the registry from Recovery Console. Seems like I've been using this technique a lot lately...it's a bit long and a little involved, but it has been very effective.

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console[. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1)...yours will likely be different as we want the old installation, perhaps 2...and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:

• Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

If you run into a problem or have a question, please ask before proceeding with any given step.

Did it and nothing happened pal :)
I think I just want to get all my drivers from my old OS back and maybe just run off this new OS if I can make it exactly the same as the old one by any chance?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Still blue screening or where did the process go south?

What's the make and model number of your machine? I'll see about rounding up the drivers you need...we'll go for new ones so we don't have to worry about reinstalling a corrupt driver. That may speed it up for you. Usually a parallel install runs pretty darn good, though...so the fact that yours is slow is a bit troublesome.

You can copy your data from the old user account and add them to new one. One thing to remember is that you should not copy the special "My" folders, rather, copy the files within them and paste them to the same "My" folders in the new install. These include the My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, My Videos, and so on. Copy the files within them only...not the folders themselves. Keep in mind that the My Documents folder contains several "My" folders...be careful not to copy any of them over with your documents. The "My" folders have special attributes given them by the OS and they are tied to the registry they're installed in.

Rexxy

Rexxy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Still blue screening or where did the process go south?

What's the make and model number of your machine? I'll see about rounding up the drivers you need...we'll go for new ones so we don't have to worry about reinstalling a corrupt driver. That may speed it up for you. Usually a parallel install runs pretty darn good, though...so the fact that yours is slow is a bit troublesome.

You can copy your data from the old user account and add them to new one. One thing to remember is that you should not copy the special "My" folders, rather, copy the files within them and paste them to the same "My" folders in the new install. These include the My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, My Videos, and so on. Copy the files within them only...not the folders themselves. Keep in mind that the My Documents folder contains several "My" folders...be careful not to copy any of them over with your documents. The "My" folders have special attributes given them by the OS and they are tied to the registry they're installed in.

Alright, my computer is an HP Pavilion a1610N that I've toyed around with. I put an 8600 in there as well as more RAM, other than that it's factory. I got my nvidia drivers good and the lag is gone from the folders. Doing what you just said, I could pretty much mimic my old Desktop and folders etc?
I may go out and buy an external, back up all my data and format my HD later, not sure, it'd waste time and money but we'll see!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll find your drivers HERE. If you need help deciding which drivers you need, just give me a shout.

You can, indeed, set things up just as you had them. It's pretty much like getting a clean start...only without the format. Once you're sure you have everything you need off the old installation, it can be deleted to regain that space on the HDD. You need to get your security programs (anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc) installed and any programs that you use will have to be installed, as well. Be sure to get all the Windows Updates when you get online.

If you are sure you want to keep this install, we can edit the boot.ini file again to get rid of the operating system prompt you get at startup. It will be easier to get to now that the system is running. You can also go back to Folder Options and hide the hidden files and folders...and the protected system files. That will unclutter things a bit.

Rexxy

Rexxy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

You'll find your drivers HERE. If you need help deciding which drivers you need, just give me a shout.

You can, indeed, set things up just as you had them. It's pretty much like getting a clean start...only without the format. Once you're sure you have everything you need off the old installation, it can be deleted to regain that space on the HDD. You need to get your security programs (anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc) installed and any programs that you use will have to be installed, as well. Be sure to get all the Windows Updates when you get online.

If you are sure you want to keep this install, we can edit the boot.ini file again to get rid of the operating system prompt you get at startup. It will be easier to get to now that the system is running. You can also go back to Folder Options and hide the hidden files and folders...and the protected system files. That will unclutter things a bit.

wannabe! Great news!
I think I found the root of the problem by scanning my computer with Kaspersky from the working OS! It detected 17 Virtumonde virus's and I removed them all before I left.
I'm at my other place right now without access to that computer, but I get back to my place tomorrow so I'll try to see if I can boot the other OS up!
If I did it'd be great news!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If it does start, your first stop should be the malware forum so they can check it for other nasties. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Rexxy

Rexxy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

If it does start, your first stop should be the malware forum so they can check it for other nasties. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Bad news wannabe :).
I moved all virus's etc and the old OS would not start. That's all fine, I'm running perfectly well off of this one, but I'm having a problem with my sound. I get no sound and whenever I open up an application that needs sound, it says that it cannot locate an audio device.
I think it has to do with my drivers...
If you can help, please let me know!
I'm counting on you!
Thanks,
Rexxy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Rexxy...

Have you downloaded the Realtek High Definition Audio drivers and installed them?

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. Do any of the devices listed there have a yellow ! or ? icon displayed next to them?