Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

General Problems (Lots, beware)

• Please log in to reply

HydraZulu

HydraZulu

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, this is going to be kinda randomly ordered, because these problems are happening so chaotically it is impossible to order them.

First off, these problems have not always been around. Most of these problems have worked fine since i got it and have just recently started to act up. I don't believe i have a single problem on this computer that has existed for the entire duration of my ownership of this computer (school loan, got it brand-new last september).

My windows experience index fluctuates wildly from day to day, some days being 3, some days being 1, some days it will "update" without me even ordering one. Not the worst problem, because i know exactly what my computer is capable of, i don't need a space-wasting program to tell me what it can and can't do, but it still doesn't sit right with me.

A while ago Aero stopped working for no reason. It wouldn't show up on the Windows Color and Appearance list or anything. A system restore has resolved this problem.

*Biggest Problem, as of this writing*-Windows Movie Maker will not let me import Mpeg-4 files into it. It says i lack the proper codec, which isn't true, i have the most recent codecs, but just to humor WMM, i downloaded the codecs again, installed them again, and got the same error AGAIN.

Windows Media Player will not let me play DVD's on it, for no random reason. It says i need a codec for that, and as i stated above, i have all the most recent codecs (i update often).

I can download files at a speed of 30-some kbps, yet it still takes about 2 hours to download a 1 gigabyte file. Something's not right there.

This is all i can think of now

I know i am not the most knowledgeable person on computers, but i do consider myself better-than-average.

I use Windows Update regularly, have a good virus protection program, and windows firewall as my firewall.

Programs I have installed that i feel may (or may not) be affecting/causing the above problems-

CCleaner
Dexpot (Doesn't cause explorer to crash, but if explorer does crash, it prevents explorer from starting again, until i shut it down. Not a big deal, but may be a symptom of a bigger problem. Or not, idk)
Mozilla Firefox 3 beta (Just got it, so i doubt it, but it could.)

That's all i can think of.

Sorry this is long, but i've dealt with all of the problems i could, and this is the remainder.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Movie Makes doesn't support MPEG-4 files. Not initially anyway. But it can be done, though I haven't tried it. Have a Google for "mpeg4 + movie maker".

Vista Home Premium and higher versions have built-in support for DVD playing. Home Basic does not. Third party software such as Cyberlink PowerDVD and what not include the codec that Media Player can then use itself. It's not the same codec that turns up on packs such as KLite.

Download speeds are dependent on your connection and the speed of the servers you download from as well as whether you use the internet while it downloads. Bearing in mind on my 2Mb connection it takes about 40 minutes to download a 500Mb file, therefore a 1Gb file I would expect to take anything up to two hours taking into consideration active surfing as well.

HydraZulu

HydraZulu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I may sound stupid saying this (my expertise is offline stuff), but i wasn't talking about my connection speed, i was talking about the realtime readout of my download's speed (usually 28-32 kilobytes per second).

(I smile because i have no clue what's going on, :) )

I'll try that. I just need to combine 4 mpeg-4 files together, and WMM seemed like the easiest way to do it. I looked for free Mpeg-4 compilers, but found nothing. Also, with that WMP thing, that sounds good. I have about 3-4 other ways to play dvds on my computer, so it's not THAT big of a deal, but WMP is my favorite so far.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Again, 30 kb/s is totally dependent on the sites you're downloading from and the speed of the connection in the first place as well as whether you're surfing at the same time.
As an example I have 2Mb broadband so in theory I should be able to download at around 240kb/s. On occasion I am forced to download files from Taiwan during their peak-internet times. The speeds are considered breakneck if they should exceed 10kb a second.

It's akin to the miles per gallon value that you see paraded on cars in the forecourts. If a car does 40 miles to the gallon according to the label, it'll only do 40 miles to the gallon if you drive constantly everywhere at 60 miles an hour in fifth gear. In urban areas you're lucky to get out of second gear some days.

HydraZulu

HydraZulu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I looked on google, and couldn't find anything that said how to get WMM to be able to use Mpeg-4, all i found were about 10 different converters that can convert from Mpeg-4 to something WMM can understand, and i already have a converter, but it takes hours to convert my 4 Mpeg-4 movies...They're really big.

HydraZulu

HydraZulu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
There was some driver, which i downloaded, but it didn't do anything useful. It was supposed to enable DVD playback on WMP, (which i had, until recently...Idk why it stopped.)and MPEG4 support on WMM. It did nothing, other than show a pretty installation window for about 3 seconds, and then went away.