Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thank you

• Please log in to reply

Amsterdam Maiden

Amsterdam Maiden

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi folks,

I just wanted to say thank you for your efforts here and to share what happened to my PC the last few days. Perhaps it helps someone.

A few days ago while wanting to run a video file with Windows media player I accidently downloaded a malicious codec after which AntiVir kept alerting me to the TR/Vundo.GEN. I always got three alerts simultaneously which I then either deleted or put in quarantine. The 3 alerts poped up after exactly one hour of being connected to the internet and again every subsequent hour after regardless of what option I chose.

I found your site via google and read some of the Vundo removal forums and it looked quite daunting (lots of "download and runs" and "post scan files"). Having seen the "Must-Read-Before-Posting-Hijackthis-Log" I followed the steps as far as and including step 2 (the Panda scan part) during which a number of files were removed. So far it looks like all is OK now (no alerts for over two hours). It did take me the better part of today and hopefully I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch.

Hope this helps someone and, again, thank you for the tips. :)

Groetjes

Happy Dutch Maiden

PS: not sure in which forum this goes, couldn't find an "appreciation" thread.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You did find the right place, and we appreciate you stopping to say that you were helped.

Might I recommend that you take a few minutes to follow the rest of the steps in the start here thread? Including posting your logs for analysis. Generally, if you have one thing, you may have others. We want to be sure you are really clean and that you don't just have a false sense of security.