Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Black screen after XP load

• Please log in to reply

RobbyWilcox

RobbyWilcox

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello I need help with my computer, the screen goes black after the XP load screen. Then when i go to boot to a previous (working) state, it doesnt do anything except restart the computer. So i tried to go into safe mode, it will boot up but when i try to move the mouse or use the keyboard they will not work. I have tried the usb mouse and keyboard and the p2 or whatever its calld

Advertisements

hitman1531

hitman1531

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
put harddrive in other pc let it fix the errors.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Boot your XP CD. If you don't have one download either of these and create a bootable CD from the .iso file

XP Recovery Console
Another XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk c: /r

Allow it to complete undisturbed.

RobbyWilcox

RobbyWilcox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
my parents wont let me put my hardrive in their computer :) but thanks for the idea. Im going to create a bootable cd thank you very much ztruker :). I would defanitly recomend this website to anyone who has problems.

RobbyWilcox

RobbyWilcox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i have one more question after i let it complete undisturbed i typed exit and it did nothing. It is exactly the same as it was

ps i upgraded graphics card then reset computer. After this it started screwing up. How would i revert to the old graphics driver?

Edited by RobbyWilcox, 25 April 2008 - 01:30 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Remove the new card, install the ond one. On boot, XP will detect it and use the driver for the old card.

Alternative is to boot to the Safe Mode Selection Menu via F8 and chose VGA mode, see what that does for you. If that allows you to boot then you can look for newer (or older) driver for the new video card.

RobbyWilcox

RobbyWilcox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok ive tried everything yall told me. Ill just say what happend exactly.

I was updating my drivers one day. It told me to restart the computer, so i did. Past the loading screen, the screen turned black(ps... custom comp). I went to try safe mode. The keyboard and mouse didnt work. I tried the usb and regular mouse and keyboards. Next i tried system restore. That didnt work. It would go back to loading screen then same problem. I tried to put on vga style lie ztruker said but i have no option for that. I tried the recovery console. It also did not work.

I have a legit copy of windows xp home with sp1. But when i try to repair windows a lot of files are missing because i have sp2.
If that way would work were could i find a Windows xp home with sp2 cd?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
The simplest way to create a Bootable Windows XP Pro or Home Installation CD Slipstreamed with SP2 is to use Autostreamer. You point to your XP Pro/Home CD, the SP2 Service Pack .exe file, give it a path to write the .iso file to and off it goes. In 5 or 10 minutes you have a .iso file that you can burn to CD with almost any CD burner program you want to use. I used Roxio 7. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this also.

Here is the link to Autostreamer:
http://www.softpedia...ostreamer.shtml

You can download the SP2 .exe here:
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Post back if you have any questions.

RobbyWilcox

RobbyWilcox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
whenever it starts the blue screen and the stuff loads at the bottom it gets to drivers then it says a file is missing

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Sorry, but I don't know what you mean. Where is this happening, when you are using Autostreamer?