Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu running at 100%..

• Please log in to reply

jtsirnik

jtsirnik

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have checked out the eventveiwer and i have alot of red X's in both applications and system. i will attach the log text files if anyone is interested

also the culprit in my task manager seems to be the svchost.exe in system user . im using processmeter.exe and ccsvchst.exe seems to be atop all the logs along with iexplorer.exe or firefox.exe.

can anyone give me some help?

thanx in advance

Attached Files

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
kill that svchost.exe process in task manager

it may restart your computer or not

if it does it won't hurt it
it will just come up again

i had a computer that had the same problem

click on the bar in processmeter and post what programs are using it

sometimes it seems as though it's needed, but killing it doesn't stop anything sometimes
that's the way it was with my computer with the same problem
i would just kill that process after a reboot and go on my merry way

jtsirnik

jtsirnik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ccsvchst.exe works with norton anitvirus for auto updats... i just disabled it in msconfig

the other svchost.exe i terminated and nothing happened... i am going to reboot and see what the cpu runs at

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Norton is a system resource hog.
What are your computer specs?
Memory and cpu processor?

you need Norton if you don't switch to a lower resource use antivirus.

jtsirnik

jtsirnik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
just an update

i replaced my fan on case, installed a aux fan, and removed cpu heat sink; cleaned it well, then applied new silver compound. now my cpu speed stays below 20%, and bumps up temporarily to ~60% when calling a new program.

thanx for your help anyway

Edited by jtsirnik, 25 April 2008 - 06:16 PM.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
If you ever want to know which processes are associated with a certain svchost.exe, use Process Explorer (freeware).

Can be downloaded here:

http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx

No installation, just run the .exe. Hover your mouse pointer over the svchost.exe. I use Process Explorer in lieu of Task Manager.

Just a thought.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
That cpu usage sounds still to high.
Mine runs about 1-4 % with occasional spikes when it does certain things.
Like check the weather and my many connections.

Process Explorer is a good one to use to determine what is actually running as Knilht has pointed out.

And if you do kill that high usage svchost it's very likely that the programs will jump to another svchost but not be as high on cpu usage.

So there's 2 cents and a nickel.....

SpicyNHot

SpicyNHot

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I'm having big problems also with my cpu.. The svchost is taking 99% of cpu usage.. how can I stop it???.. :) :) I did terminate the program but it still comes back into play after I restart my computer.. I'll gladly appreciate some help assistance.. P.S. I could've started my own thread but it made it easier to post in this thread since I found the same exact problem almost like mines.. :)

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Download Process Explorer Here

No need to install just run the executable. Hover your pointer over the svchost causing high cpu usage to see what is associated with it.

jtsirnik

jtsirnik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
have your tried everything that i had done to my cpu? there are several svchost.exe that run on your system... they are windows internal programs that run processes for windows. there maybe a process that you do not need that is running that is causing your cpu to run at 100%. search and read all the posts pertaining to this topic and ull solve your problem. through msconfig you can turn on and off process that seem unnecessary.

Listen to the staff here they are great, they really know what they are talking about.

SpicyNHot

SpicyNHot

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thank you so much you guys for responding.. Took me yesterday and now today to finally find the big problem.. :) Okay so I found out that svchost was taking 99% of cpu do to automatic updates must be currupt.. What should I do??? So I just disable automatic updates wow la no more cpu at 99%.. It's normal back to system idle 98-99%.. I search all over google containing the svchost.. One of my svchost is the one I'm having problems with host to 24-30 services something in that matter of svchost.exe... So how can I fixed the currupt automatic update program???

SpicyNHot

SpicyNHot

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Download Process Explorer Here

No need to install just run the executable. Hover your pointer over the svchost causing high cpu usage to see what is associated with it.

Thank you! I know they're genusis.. They gave me instructions before how to fix my computer.. It really help me out alot so I didn't have to reinstall windows or do a destroy recovery which is a headache to install all the programs over again..:)