Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezes When Video Driver Installed

• Please log in to reply

gpalmer16

gpalmer16

• Pip
  • 6 posts
So...

Computer Specs!

Intel Duo 3.2Ghz
2GBs RAM
Nvidia 7900 GT
Gigabyte Motherboard 6 Quade Duo
600 Watt Performace Power Supply
1 DVD ROM/Burner
500 GIG Sata Harddrive
2 GIG DDR Ram

The system is only around 10 months to a year old. It was running fine until my old 500 watt power supply went out. After that I put in a 350 watt, the only one that I had on hand. The computer then began its rain of terror upon my mind. Once I put in the 350 watt power supply the computer would randomly not start and would freeze from 1 minutes to 1 hour depending on what I was doing. I then figured of course that it was a power issue and upgraded to a 600 watt power supply. The computer runs fine if I dont install my video drivers for the 7900. The computer will NEVER freeze if I dont install the videos drivers. So...I bought an Ultra cool fan for my video card hoping that the heat issue and freezing issue was coming from that. After putting that onto my card I installed the latest video drivers 169 from nvidia website. The computer still freezes. The card is on its own power rail then the other hardware that is installed on the board. The system heat is around
25 C. My question is, do you know what is going on??? The system freezes after and only when I install the video drivers. I of course went through all the different versions of the drivers and nothing seems to help. PLEASE HELP ME!!! Im a full time animation student using Maya 8.0 and Max and really need this system back ASAP. Any kind of information that you can help me with will be godly. Thanks so much Geoff Palmer

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
see if windows update has a driver for that card in 'custom' updates-'hardware'
sometimes they work better
sometimes they are worse though.....

gpalmer16

gpalmer16

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I did what you suggested but that did not work. After installing the driver from the windows site I restarted. After logging in the compute ran fine for about 15-20 minutes then froze. I am not doing anything that is putting the PC to good use when it crashes. Just checking email, surfing, etc...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What about trying an older driver for the Nvidia 7900 GT? Sometimes that works.

gpalmer16

gpalmer16

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
:)

So with that suggestion I searched for this site

http://www.nvidia.co...nglish_whql.exe

I am now going through all the current drivers from the first release for the 7900 GT my card is a 7900 gt/gto not sure what the difference would be but hmmmm....

It froze twice so far currently testing with the 91.47 with hopes that it will not freeze. I have a high def audio driver that is installed. Anyone think that might be conflicting with my video driver? I was going to uninstall and try it but a prompt came up saying these programs might not work properly. The list was so big that it scared me off from uninstalling it...I don't know. What do you think?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I found one post that said the 169.25 XP 8XXX drivers work with just about anything.

Edit: No good for XP, Vista only. The 169.21 level is for XP.

Look in Event Viewer. Are any errors being logged?

Edited by Ztruker, 25 April 2008 - 06:17 PM.

gpalmer16

gpalmer16

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Logs are posted as attachments are you able to access them? NM Im not permitted to upload this file type.

Errors include:

FOR APPLICATIONS

ERROR:

Hanging application rundll32.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
WARNING:

A provider, CmdTriggerConsumer, has been registered in the WMI namespace, Root\cimv2, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.( x 3 )

SYSTEM:
ERROR:

Generate Activation Context failed for C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.163_x-ww_39049d00\MFC80U.DLL. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Generate Activation Context failed for C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.163_x-ww_39049d00\MFC80U.DLL. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

These two errors are throughout the event log for system

Ty
G Palmer

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
googled the error

came up with this

http://forums.micros.......05&SiteID=1

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
and this

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

of course there is more.....

http://www.google.co...r...tf8&oe=utf8

Edited by cmpm, 25 April 2008 - 07:42 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'll add one more: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923014

Advertisements

gpalmer16

gpalmer16

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So I followed the links and they all ended with downloading the appication vcredist_x86.

I am using the current driver 91.47 which allows my computer to run for awhile longer than it used to run without freezing but it still freezes. I even tried the beta driver for Nvidia 7900 GT/GTO. After the freeze I looked at the event logger which had no errors for the last freeze to date.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Maybe incompatibility with the graphics card and motherboard? If so how do I find this out? Just switch video cards...I mean I would just try that if I had another one.

Edited by gpalmer16, 28 April 2008 - 12:47 AM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Did a disk come with the video card?

Use that, insert the disk and it should open with a prompt to install.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
should get proper power supply
might end up severely damaging your computer

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
600 watts isn't enough?

Or are you referring to something else about the psu.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
hope the upgrade was not too late
but he could try Everest and speedfan to look more in his computer

http://filehippo.com...d_everest_home/

http://filehippo.com...nload_speedfan/

see if a heat issue
maybe the 350 watts damaged before the upgrade to 600watts