Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop is about to meet wall

• Please log in to reply

garysemailpleasenospam

garysemailpleasenospam

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
My computer is bogged down by viruses. My Virus Scanner (McAfee) has been deleted and I can't cut and paste... svchost.exe is always at a hundred percent and I can't even burn CD's anymore to save my music and documents. Anyways that is besides the point. I have given up and I want to format my hard drive and just start over.

Can anyone give me good detailed instructions on how to do so? I am pretty computer illiterate.

Things you should know- I don't have a floppy drive, only a CD-ROM drive. I do not have reinstallation CD, but I do have a new unopened copy of XP Professional. Also if you know how maybe I could back up my files, that would be wonderful.

Please help.

-Gary

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Do you have Internet access?

garysemailpleasenospam

garysemailpleasenospam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
No, I am afraid to infect my school's network.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Do you have a bootable McAffee cd? I run Norton myself, and the install cd is bootable which provides some means of scan/cleanup in a situation such as yours.

Work your way through the malware guide at the top of this forum: http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

If you still have trouble post a hijack this log in the malware forum at:

http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

garysemailpleasenospam

garysemailpleasenospam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I don't have a CD Austin O. I got McAfee from my AOL service.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not sure how to respond to this as we have several people going in different directions...

Before blowing away the OS, you do have Internet (obviously), is there are reason you cannot follow Austin's suggestion in going to the other forum?

Any software can be copied to a cd and installed on your PC...

garysemailpleasenospam

garysemailpleasenospam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
My internet comes from my secondary laptop, or as I call it the uninfected one.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
but you can still download software, post logs and get information using the second computer and a floppy disk

garysemailpleasenospam

garysemailpleasenospam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
But I don't have a burner on my secondary laptop or a floppy drive.

garysemailpleasenospam

garysemailpleasenospam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
So does anyone know how to format laptops without a floppy drive?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sure, I just wanted to save you from all that, since 98 percent of all computers can be saved....if you really want to wipe out your drive, boot with your windows xp cd...at the prompt, elect to install a new system...a couple screens in you will be given an opportunity to delete the exisiting partitions...choose the one where windows is installed.

then reboot again, start a new setup, have windows setup create a new partition, then format, and off you go to the races....

garysemailpleasenospam

garysemailpleasenospam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm sorry if I came off testy, its just that I am so frustrated with my computer. I want to format my hard drive but there is very little I feel I can do.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
don't worry, I can tell you're frustrated....just would prefer to fix rather than blow things away

so....

did you read what I posted? Will that work for you?

Do you have a windows xp cd?

garysemailpleasenospam

garysemailpleasenospam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes, I followed through the forums with no avail. I tried downloading different virus scanners, but my "windows installer" is broken. And when I tried having the internet scans, they said something about Active X. But I already lowered my settings... ::sigh::

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I still don't know if you got my point about how to do this...I asked if you have a windows cd, twice, no reply.

Well? Are you good, or do you need more detailed instructions...