Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Battle of the processors!

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey guys,

Right now I'm at a stage where my AMD 4400+ x2 processors aren't really keeping me satisfied. I've decided that I'm in need of a new unit. I have an AM2 chipset on my motherboard and I'm running Windows XP Professional, that in mind I would like for you guys to help me decide where to place my money! I want an AM2 processor for ~250 :)

The Choices:

AMD 6400+ Black Edition
-Great end to the 6400 series, and it gives me the overclocking edge that I want.

Phenom 9850 Black Edition
-I've read that XP will only read 2/4 cores for this bad boy? Not really sure here, but it's always up in the air, even if I have to spend the extra cash.

Phenom 8xxx Series
-New, cheaper 3 core processors. I've read reviews, they don't seem bad for their price.

Feel free to suggest another processor for me! I'd love to hear feedback! I don't want to change my motherboard, and from my experiences I love AMD so I'd like to stick with an AMD chip plzpzlplz.
Let me know guys!

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hello Rexxy, may I know why do you need a processor? AMD 4400+ x2 is quite good for day-to-day usage.. If you are thinking of heavy gaming, then you might consider better graphic card and not processor.. If you're thinking of rendering 3D, graphic, movie-editing, then a multi-core processor will serve you better.. :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All the listed processors are virtually identical performance-wise except for the fact that the 9xxx Phenoms are quad-core and the 8xxx Phenom range are triple-core.

What exactly are you doing with your computer please that makes you feel your 4400+ isn't up to the job?