Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

just a few question

• Please log in to reply

wiz56

wiz56

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi I could use a little help, it's been a while since i've buit a new system. Anyway New system is Gigabyte ep35c-ds3r p35,Intel E8400 3gzh 6mb L2. WD 500gig Hd sata 3gb, XFX 8800 GT 512bm ddr 3, 4 gb 2xgb stick corsair xms 800 (6400) ddr 2 ram (will upgrade to ddr 3) when prices drop. Apevia Mid tower case with Raidmax Hybrid 2 RX-530ss ps.
Lite on dvd burner with lightscribe.

My Question are I still use Windows xp pro (32bit) Will it run ok on this new 64bit system, and second will the Dx 10 8800 gt video card run with this os. I'm an old time gamer will alot of old games and some new. I've not heard alot of good things about visa and I dont really want to upgrade to it if I dont have to until they acually fix it or (if)

Any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Advertisements

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts

I still use Windows xp pro (32bit) Will it run ok on this new 64bit system

Do you mean that would your Windows work with those 64-bit capable hardware?.. Then the answer is yes :)

will the Dx 10 8800 gt video card run with this os

The card will run perfectly in Windows XP but in DX9 mode.. DX10 is for Vista..

I'm an old time gamer will alot of old games and some new. I've not heard alot of good things about visa and I dont really want to upgrade to it if I dont have to until they acually fix it or (if)

You don't really have to go for Vista.. Windows XP will be just nice for you.. Even I'm still using XP :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unofficially DirectX 10 can be used on XP but it will be at your own risk.
32-bit XP works happily on 64-bit hardware, has been the case for a long while now.
XP versus Vista - Vista SP1 makes a more responsive Vista situation, however XP Service Pack 3 is out next week. Swings and Roundabouts. Unfortunately a time will come when Vista is the only option regardless of how broken it is or isn't.

wiz56

wiz56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much! Thats just what I needed to know. As for direct x 10 I guess i should be happy that the card should run on dx 9 . I can also (hope) they have worked alot of the bugs out of sp 3. I read a little bit about it and it sounded as if it had alot of issues still.but auto download is truned off! Think i'll wait and check the reviews before I install a new service pack.