Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slowdown and Freezing

• Please log in to reply

MJRevell

MJRevell

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hey guys,

I've been having this problem for about a week and a half now, and have received help on here to rid my laptop of malware - so that's not the problem. Basically, the computer slows right down when I use it to the point of freezing: it doesn't matter if I'm on the internet, or browsing folders. Sometimes, it can be on 100% CPU usage - other times not.

Sometimes, if I wait for huge amounts of time it will run whatever I was trying to do - but I've found that if I turn the laptop upside down it runs perfectly instantly. At present, I'm resting one side on a dice to keep it elevated, and it runs perfectly like this as well.

If I turn on the computer, it will work normally for maybe 3-5 minutes, but then I'll have to use the dice technique or wafting it around. Is this likely to be something wrong with the inside of the comp? It seems slightly odd that something would come on so suddenly, and wafting it will help...?

Any help/info you can give me would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
could be a faulty cooling fan (loose connection perhaps, which makes proper contact when you tilt it or turn it over). The laptop interior gets too hot and that's why it becomes unresponsive. You'll need to get it checked out by a repair technician to confirm this.

Edited by pip22, 25 April 2008 - 04:45 AM.