Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dumb woman in trouble needing help

• Please log in to reply

Cath_introuble

Cath_introuble

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, do people help on this system? If so I would appreciate your advice!!!!!

I bought this computer a while ago, and my technical support people want a few hundred dollars to send me out some disks. I'll tell you what I've done, and you'll probably think I'm stupid.

I have this HP Pavillion which I bought and it has Microsoft Windows Vista on it. A friend of mine, gave me a Ubuntu CD and I installed it earlier today. After deciding I don't like it, I wanted to switch back to the Vista system but it didn't exist. After calling technical support, they said that I had deleted my install partitioner with the system on it. I had to get a friend to get me on the internet and he doesn't know how to get back the windows system.

I have an XP disk as well, but don't know how to install it. It keeps coming up with a blue screen. I've been told that I can't install the XP system on the Pavillion machine.

I've spent thousands of dollars on this and can't seem to get help for it. Does anybody know either how to retrieve my Vista installation system or how to install from a Windows XP disk?

I'm actually using the Ubuntu system at the minute to write this. Don't have a clue what I'm doing, wish I didn't have to, want my money back but can't get it. Any help will be nice. I found some information on the screen at this link: http://www.goodgearg...0;pid;5199;pt;1 and hope I copied and pasted it right.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Cath_introuble...

See step two at This Link. It explains how to go about getting replacement recovery disks from HP.

wannabe1

Cath_introuble

Cath_introuble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Lost my password details! Back now.

Well, the thing is, I'm using the Ubuntu and not Windows so I don't have a Start button. It's a triangle with dots round it. I believe it's a Linux 'thing'. I did call Hewlett Packard, and they want more money (typical). It's $3,000 of worthless wires and things at the minute, although I'm sort of getting used to the Linux. Can't get the television to work like Vista, which is why I want it back.

Cath_introuble

Cath_introuble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Um, I should explain a bit better: I e-mailed them and they said to call, so I did, and although the system is only a few months old, they want a substantial amount of money to post recovery disks out. Dont have it. I do have an original Microsoft Windows XP disk and I tried to install the thing but it comes up with this blue screen with lots of zeros 000000 and an x and other numbers and figures. The Ubuntu system is the only thing that seems to work without spending a lot of money!!! Any use?

That's like buying a car, expecting an engine, then having to buy another engine for it. I need the engine - I don't understand why I have to buy it twice.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It funny that i just bought a recovery Cd set from H-P for my compaq SR2011 computer for $16. I think someone from H-P is giving you the run around here. Have you gone here to try getting a set of recovery disks?

http://h10025.www1.h...n...24&lang=en#

Try it, it may work. You will need the info from the sticker on your H-P computer, like the serial number, etc.

SRX660

Cath_introuble

Cath_introuble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I shall call again. The amount I was quoted is ten times what you paid!!!

OK. They should be open in a few hours. Will be patient and let you know. Fingers and toes crossed!!!!

Thanks so much for everybodys time on here.