Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Drive Trouble

• Please log in to reply

erroldee

erroldee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just bought this new 240GB USB Drive. The Computer detects it as Ameco USB Drive

I was having trouble using because when i transfer some files into it, sometimes the file works but most of the time i get a fractured file.
and when i create a folder directly into the drive sometimes i get some files inside consisting of "A" "Y" and some other weird characters.
I am not able to delete this files and when i do Error checking the folder is converted to a file and i can delete that.

I tried to Reformat it to FAT32 or NTFS and all i get is an error message saying that the format cannot be completed.
I have this friend that tried to format it on MAC and it worked. He formatted it to FAT32.

As i was using it (in Windows), the problem with the folder creation disappeared but the file transfer problem is the same.

As i was reading some solutions i came to a forum that was saying that i should try to divide it to 32GB partitions.
I had my friend divide it to 7 32GB and 1 16GB partition in his MAC. in the middle of creating those partitions his computer just stopped responding and everything froze. so we had no option but to restart the Mac. After that we tried to redo the partitioning but now it can't be detected. i tried to plug it in to Windows and i can still see it in Device Manager and in the Safely Remove Hardware Section but doesn't show any drive assignment. I tried using KillDisk or the Windows Disk Management but it just goes to Not Responding.

Need help badly. Thanks.

Edited by erroldee, 25 April 2008 - 05:18 AM.

Advertisements

erroldee

erroldee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
can anybody help me please?

shaked889

shaked889

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have the same problem...