Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it the BIOS?

• Please log in to reply

PHILBO

PHILBO

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, i'm trying to find out if my BIOS is corrupt? I have win XP operating normally apart from no CD/DVD rom drives & no internet (could be a seperate problem) Can evn load another O/S through the rear USB ports! So, i have ben told by someone (whose taken the time to advise me/ and i am grateful to him) who Flashes BIOS for a living, that my BIOS is all good! - but could that be wrong? done all th usual..checked the CD -DVD roms out, changed the IDE cables, computer is clean, etc? No CD roms in Device Manager or on BIOS flash screen? So, can anyone help me further, i just want to look in the right direction. Many Thanks phil

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the BIOS was corrupt you wouldn't even get as far as loading Windows.
If there are no CD units detected in BIOS this would suggest a jumper issue - most likely two drives on the same channel are either both master or both slave - one needs to be Master, the other needs to be Slave.

PHILBO

PHILBO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thankyou for that, with regard to to 'jumpers' yes i have checked them, moved them around, swapped with other working CDroms, changed the IDE lead? hense the reason for the question? so i just don't know but thankyou. phil