Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build (using some existing hardware)

• Please log in to reply

Bushisland

Bushisland

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hello everyone,

I would like to rebuild my computer so I can play high end games on High settings. I can play only on low at the present. (no online play) Below is my list to rebuild, using my existing case which is a is Apevia ATX mid tower. Also I would like to reuse the 3 GB of DDR2-667 Kington ram is possible and my 22" LCD wide screen. I do not know if I want to do any over clocking., as I have only over clocked a ATI video card. MY OS is Vista Prem which is OEM. I believe that is tied to my present Mother board's BIOS and cannot be used on another new MoBo, so I guess I have to buy another OS.

MoBo... Asus P5N-D 2-Way SLI Invidia, PCI Express 2.0, 1333 MHz FSB
CPU...Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 45NM, 1333 MHz
Two Video cards... BFG GeForce 8800GT OC2 Nivida 675MHz
PSU... Enermax Infiniti EIN650AWT 650 watt SLI approved
OS...Vista Home Prem
Cost is $1400.00 Can after taxes

#1 Is all this going to work together?
#2 Will the 667 Ram be OK to reuse or should I go 800 MHz?
#3 Will this be enough power?
#4 Should I buy over clocked cards or not?
#5 Will my Western 500 GB Hard drive Be OK to reuse and do I have to Format it.

This will be my first total build. so any suggestions, opinions, or advise will :).

Thank You
bushisland

Edited by Bushisland, 26 April 2008 - 07:52 PM.

Advertisements

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hello Bushisland, that's a powerful setup!! :)

>> It should work together

>> It will be just fine to re-use.. since you are running Vista, and planning on Hi-end game at hi-end setting, my sincere suggestion is to shoot straight at 4GB of RAM.. RAM is quite cheap now...

>> That PSU should be enough to handle your system

>> You do not need an overclocked card.. the performance difference is so little and can be ignored..

>> It should be ok to re-use but about does it need re-formatting, in my own personal experience, if you change the motherboard, you will need to re-format the hard disk.. however, lets wait for other's opinion..

Very nice setup btw :)

---------edit-----------

May I know what is your current setup please? As you might not need to buy all those stuff to enjoy heavy gaming, perhaps only vga card and probably PSU at most..

Edited by fenzodahl512, 27 April 2008 - 05:29 AM.

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I can play all new games on high with this setup:
2GB PC3200
ASUS a8n deluxe sli motherboard
nVidia 8800GT 512mb
AMD a64 4000+ (single core)
Antec trio 650w PSU

So, getting two video cards probably isn't worth it IMO. Save the extra money and buy more ram.:)

Also, if you go with the new mobo, your hard drive will need to be formatted.

Edited by FadeToBright, 27 April 2008 - 05:55 AM.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Hello Bushisland, that's a powerful setup!! :)

>> It should work together

>> It will be just fine to re-use.. since you are running Vista, and planning on Hi-end game at hi-end setting, my sincere suggestion is to shoot straight at 4GB of RAM.. RAM is quite cheap now...

>> That PSU should be enough to handle your system

>> You do not need an overclocked card.. the performance difference is so little and can be ignored..

>> It should be ok to re-use but about does it need re-formatting, in my own personal experience, if you change the motherboard, you will need to re-format the hard disk.. however, lets wait for other's opinion..

Very nice setup btw :)

---------edit-----------

May I know what is your current setup please? As you might not need to buy all those stuff to enjoy heavy gaming, perhaps only vga card and probably PSU at most..

My current settup as is follows:

CPU...DualCore Intel Pentium D 2.8 MHz, with CoolMaster fan

MoBo...IntelDQ965GF Executive Series 1066MHz FSB, one 16X Express slot

Video Card...ATI 1600 Series

PSU...Orion 485 Watts

Mem...2-GB of DDR2 667MHz Kingston
..........2-512 MB DDR2 667 MHz Kingtson

Acer 22" LCD Widesreen

Logitech Laser Keyboard & Mouse

Edited by Bushisland, 27 April 2008 - 06:14 AM.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

I can play all new games on high with this setup:
2GB PC3200
ASUS a8n deluxe sli motherboard
nVidia 8800GT 512mb
AMD a64 4000+ (single core)
Antec trio 650w PSU

So, getting two video cards probably isn't worth it IMO. Save the extra money and buy more ram.:)

Also, if you go with the new mobo, your hard drive will need to be formatted.

Thanks for your input FadeToBright and Fenzodahi512. Now lets see what the Experts have to say. :)

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I suggest going with a higher end video card like 9800GTX or 9800GX2 as having two BFG 8800GT OC2 will run so hot (I have the OC version and it runs very hot, I have mod it). And if you think that these higher end cards are not up to the task then just buy another one at a later date (I don't think you'll have to anyway).
Also, I suggest going with a better quality power supply like Corsair, Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling, etc...

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

I suggest going with a higher end video card like 9800GTX or 9800GX2 as having two BFG 8800GT OC2 will run so hot (I have the OC version and it runs very hot, I have mod it). And if you think that these higher end cards are not up to the task then just buy another one at a later date (I don't think you'll have to anyway).
Also, I suggest going with a better quality power supply like Corsair, Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling, etc...

Thanks for your reply Kamille316. I have read the 8800GTs run hot, so I'll have a look at the 9800 series. A top end power supply is also a must. Any one want to take a shot at the picked MoBo?

Again Thank You,
Bushisland

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Thanks for your reply Kamille316. I have read the 8800GTs run hot, so I'll have a look at the 9800 series. A top end power supply is also a must. Any one want to take a shot at the picked MoBo?

Again Thank You,
Bushisland

I just looked up the specs of the board, looks to be a decent board. Max amount of RAM is 8gb so you're not too limited in that aspect. Handles Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium CPUs, so that's even better. :)

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Again Thank You,
Bushisland

I just looked up the specs of the board, looks to be a decent board. Max amount of RAM is 8gb so you're not too limited in that aspect. Handles Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium CPUs, so that's even better. :)

Thanks. I picked this board mainly because it supports the new Intel 45NM CPU, Dual x16 PCI Express 2.0, and 750i SLI Chipset. I do not believe it over clocks very good. Not to metion that the price is only $158.99 at Canada Computers. I don't know how long it as been out and if its proven to be a good board. Haven't found too many reviews on it so far.

Best Regards,
bushisland

Edited by Bushisland, 02 May 2008 - 03:35 PM.