Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wont let me install sp2

• Please log in to reply

commanderdevin

commanderdevin

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok recently i had a blue stop screen...
Also when i am in Games such as Bf2142 Age of emp 2 and all those my screen just turns to lines. And my comp freezes? So i did a repair install. The lines stopped and came back 2 weeks later. So when im installing Sp2 it just gets to running processes before install and sits there for 4 hours. Can anyone help me with any of these probs? Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

For a tutorial on installing SP2 and what you must avoid or check before you start installing it, see this:

http://www.lockergno...service-pack-2/

Regarding your display problem. If it only happens with certain games your graphics adapter may not be compatible with them
or not have a sufficiently high specification to run them properly.

Your version of DirectX may also need updating. The game documentation should tell you which version of DirectX is required
as well as any other minimum requirements. If your system does not meet one or more of these requirements you will experience
various problems including display issues. If you discover that your DirectX software needs updating you'll also need to confirm that your graphics adapter is compatible with the newer version.

You can ascertain your current DirectX version by clicking Start-->Run, type dxdiag and click OK.
The DirectX Diagnostic Tool will open.
Under the 'System' tab you'll see the DirectX version listed near the bottom.

If necessary, you can download the latest DirectX 9 for XP from here: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Please note: Although there is now a 'DirectX 10' available, you cannot use that version on Windows XP. It's for Vista.
Just make sure you are using the latest DirectX 9 that's available for XP.

Edited by pip22, 26 April 2008 - 07:41 AM.

commanderdevin

commanderdevin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok What was weird is I could play the same games for 2 years with no problem. Then a few weeks ago the lines came. But i was able to play them for years.