Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Ports not working

• Please log in to reply

dad1722

dad1722

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Gateway M320 Laptop with Windows XP Operating System. This laptop has 4 USB ports and none of them work. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I have done a clean boot of the Operating System, all with no success.
The USB ports will not detect any device plugged into them.
What seems strange is that I have an USB Flash Drive and when I plug that into the USB Ports the little power light/activity light comes on.
I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Welcome to Geeks to GO!, Dad 1722.

From what i can see at the gateway website there are some USB card reader software updates you can download. Third driver down on the list.

http://support.gatew...s...&param=4721

There are chipset drivers also but they are the original chipset drivers and are NOT updated. It could be your laptop was at some time reformatted and lost the chipset drivers so it is using the windows generic drivers.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 26 April 2008 - 07:51 AM.

dad1722

dad1722

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your response SRX660, I do not have a USB Card Reader, just the USB Ports on the laptop. Would the driver you suggested help on board USB Ports?

Also, How do I get the chipset drivers? I have downloaded and installed the motherboard/chipset driver from Gateway's web site