Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing XP pro on a different laptop, same hard drive.

• Please log in to reply

fnark

fnark

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi

I recently got given a new laptop by my aunt. The model is a time 8375, but is the same as the mitac 8375 and the tiny 8375. It had windows xp home on it when i got it, but due to the security flaws in home i decided to upgrade to XP pro, and this is where the problems started.

The setup will format, copy files and load into the main windows XP setup, but at seemingly random points on the setup the computer will completley freeze up, all HDD and CD lights off and i cant even ctrl alt del to restart. Ive tried using both sticks of ram individually, different hard drive and about 4 different XP cds and i still get a crash. I would have changed the BIOS settings, but its a crappy strange BIOS that doesn't let you change anything, so i can't disable devices to see if this is the problem.

Im posting this off the laptop running Windows 98, which runs setup perfectly first time. Later in the week i should be getting my hands on both XP home and wndows 2000 pro to see if these work, but in the meantime im stuck with 98!

My question is this, Can i pull the hardrive out of this laptop and put it in an old compaq armada to install wndows xp, or will i get all sorts of device errors when i put it back in the original machine?

Also any ideas as to why this laptop wont install XP pro would be very helpful, though I can't see what it could be.

Machine specs (pulled from everest computer summary page) are:

Field Value
Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE
OS Service Pack -
Internet Explorer 5.00.2614.3500 (IE 5.0 - Windows 98 SE)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard
CPU Type Mobile AMD Athlon XP, 1658 MHz (12.5 x 133)
Motherboard Name TimeComputers
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8372 ProSavageDDR KN266
System Memory 480 MB (DDR PC2100 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Insyde (09/27/02)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR (32 MB)
3D Accelerator S3 SuperSavageDDR

Multimedia
Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage
IDE Controller Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IDE Controller Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller D347PRT SCSI Controller
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE45
Optical Drive QSI DVD/CDRW SBW-161 (DVD:8x, CD:16x/12x/24x DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions
C: (FAT32) 57217 MB (49737 MB free)

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Mouse Synaptics PS/2 TouchPad

Network
Network Adapter PPP Adapter. (213.122.11.247)
Network Adapter VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter (192.168.1.1)
Modem 56HP92-PCT
Modem HSP56 WDM DEVICE (VIA)

Peripherals
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim (Fnark)

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
download and use DBAN FOR CD. This will completely wipe the HD by 1's and 0's and will give you a fresh drive.

Try this first.

kelvin123

kelvin123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Everyone if you looking for the time 8375 laptop drivers 95% of the drivers you need to download are the Mitac 8375 drivers a. The Mitac 8375 is the same motherboard as Time 8375 the only additional driver you need is the wireless driver which is "RT2460 802.11b Baseband/MAC integrated chip" the link for the wireless driver is

http://www.cnet.com....wl311ab2.01.zip

How I found the wireless driver a friend of me told me about CPUZ I downloaded the portable version from http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php I ran the program and clicked on the about tab>At the bottom of window there was a subheading called tools and button called registered dump (.txt) I saved the list then opened it in notepad searched in notepad document network controller. Then under network controller it told me the Vendor ID (0x1814) and Model ID (0x0101).

With the Vendor ID and Model ID I went to http://www.pcidatabase.com/index.php on the website in the vendor search box I imputed 0x1814 and scroll down and found device id that said 0x0101
it told me that id belonged to RT2460 802.11b Baseband/MAC integrated chip made by Ralink Technology Corporation. I looked on their website and could not finder the driver but it said on the PCI database that the was an alternative driver called “CNet CNWL-311” I search Google and found the drive on the following link http://www.cnet.com....wl311ab2.01.zip I then downloaded and installed it and seems to work my only disappointment was that its maximum speed was 11mbps which is disappointing considering my external one is 54mbps.