Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Inspiron 1000 not booting?

• Please log in to reply

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
So My dad has an inspiron 1000, and he's had it for couple of years now.

Well, today, it just wouldn't boot. It would stay on the the Dell logo screen that appears when you first turn on the computer (dell users know what i'm talking about)

He has some important work files on that laptop so it is essential to get this comp back online.
He said he noticed some fans going really loud and then stopping. Could this mean that one or more parts of the computer got fried?

another thing, if the computer is gone, would it still be possible to recover the files by extracting the HD and putting it in a external enclosure?

Thanks in advance.

~~not sure if this is in right section. please move if needed~~

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If it's a hardware component fault then there's no reason why the disk should not be readable in an external enclosure.

But before you take out the disk you may want to try tapping F8 repeatedly as soon as the laptop is powered up. This should get you to the "Advanced Startup Options". Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight "Last known good configuration" and press [Enter]

If still no Windows, bring up that menu again using the same method and highlight "Safe Mode", press [Enter]
If that starts Windows, run System Restore (pick a date before the problem started or as far back as is available)
Start->All programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore

on some systems (mine included) the standard "Safe Mode" doesn't work. In that event, reboot and try instead
"Safe Mode with Networking" from the same menu (but with the laptop NOT connected to the internet for security reasons).
That works for me anyway.

In safe mode you might think it a good idea to copy your data files to a USB stick or blank CD while you have the chance. Unfortunately neither of
these devices will work in Safe Mode as USB drivers and CD-ROM drivers are not loaded. This is because Safe Mode's primary purpose is to bypass all drivers except vital ones in case one of them is preventing Windows from starting normally. The floppy drive will work but that's unlikely to suffice if you have many files or big files to recover.

Edited by pip22, 27 April 2008 - 03:07 AM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
ok thx, i'll try

~~~
nope.. doesn't even get to the safe mode screen.

Its not POSTING... which means hardware.. :) [i think]

pics of the screen.
http://i94.photobuck.../Photo-0132.jpg
http://i94.photobuck.../Photo-0134.jpg
The text is: F2 for setup. (bios) F12 for Boot menu (boot order... no safemode)

pic of the repeating "diagnostic screen"
http://i94.photobuck.../Photo-0133.jpg

excuse the bad quality my phone is the only camera i have.

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 27 April 2008 - 03:23 PM.