Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

black screen on bootup?

• Please log in to reply

geordie_john

geordie_john

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
hello my pc starts to load windows xp then i get a black screen and nothing happens,i got over this last night by hitting f8 and using debug mode but tonight nothing works,any ideas please?
thank you.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Boot your XP CD. If you don't have one download either of these and create a bootable CD from the .iso file

XP Recovery Console
Another XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk c: /r

Allow it to complete undisturbed.

geordie_john

geordie_john

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
for some reason all is back to normal.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
If you have any data you don't want to lose, now is the time to back it up,m while your computer is working. Tough to do when it's not :)

geordie_john

geordie_john

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i think it was because i installed firefox3 beta,i have now gone back to firefox2.