Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing dual boot system and partition

• Please log in to reply

timbotpk

timbotpk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can anyone help me please re removing a dual boot system and partition.My knowledge is limited and confidence zero!!!
Several years ago I managed to install a dual boot system with XP Home 32 bit on the C drive (for the kids) and XP64 Pro on the D drive (for me).The E drive remains nearly empty. The C drive is now almost full and I have decided I am much happier with the old XP Home than the newer XP64 Pro. Can anyone talk me through or point me in the direction of a guide to uninstalling XP64 and removing the partition so the space is available to XP Home?
I understand about backing up to disk my folders of documents,photos etc beforehand but what about the programs installed on the D drive, will I have to reinstall them all on the C drive?
Any help would be most appreciated, I have not posted on a forum like this before and wish I'd just stuck with a single installation in the first place now!!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Even if you just cleared the E: partition and reformatted it you can make use of it to store files and folders. You will want to keep all your programs and settings on the C: drive. You may find that a safer alternative then trying to merge the partitions. The drive tools are in Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tasks>System Tools>Disk Management.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If I understand what you are asking, you want to remove XP 64 from D: then merger D: into C: so teh C: drive is larger and has more free space, correct? If so, this is not a simple process and is risky.

Before you do anything, backup your data so if the worst happens, you can recover.

The you can buy Partition Magic or use freeware like Gpartd-Live or Partition Logic to resize the partitions the way you want them.

timbotpk

timbotpk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the reason I wanted to merge the C & D was two fold, one because the C was regularly reaching its limit on available space because of downloads/programmes that automatically placed themselves on the C drive and secondly because I intended to not bother using XP64 as an operating system anymore.Seemed like a logical way of killing two birds with one stone at the time.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The best way to accomplish this is to backup your C: drive, start a normal XP install and delete C: and D: during the install process. Create a new C: out of the larger free space. Restore you backed up C: drive and you're ready to go.

You should implement a good backup strategy anyway, so now is a good time to implement it.