Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help finding specific program

• Please log in to reply

Invision Computers

Invision Computers

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've google'd my computer to death looking for a program that'll do what i need. I've done a raw recovery on a hard drive and recovered absolutely insane amounts of media (pictures music movies) mostly pictures. I used a RAW recovery technique that looks at the binary on the driver and pulls out anything that even resembles the type of file I'm looking for but unfortunately that brings everything I don't want too (about 80 gigs to be exact) 90 percent of these files are either corrupt or junk like little icons and crap like that. And because it's a RAW recovery the file names are non-existent so doing a search for them like that is out of the question. Sorting through these files in explorer is an absolute mess. (imagine trying to scroll through a folder containing 60 gigs of jpg thumbnails looking for the right ones) so what I need is a program that can quickly (or atleast more stably than an OS) sort and organize these (probably by size or maybe even by pixel size) and also delete the corrupt ones (there's a lot and they like to crash explorer) and it would be fantastic if it had a speedy little preview thing so i can see the pics if I need to.

-thanks for any help guys

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

If the files are very valuable to you (irreplaceable, whatever) you should consider submitting the drive to a file recovery service. Not free of course, but as I said, if they are valuable and irreplaceable what's it worth to get them back?

Edited by pip22, 27 April 2008 - 04:30 AM.

Invision Computers

Invision Computers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am the drive recovery service :) (I'm also partnered with driver savers their just too expensive) it's for a customer I just want to make this easier that's all. a drive recovery service is gonna do the same exact thing for lots and lots of $$, the file system is in tatters and isn't worth trying to recover. the information consists of family pictures and stuff like that, nothing business oriented.

Edited by Invision Computers, 28 April 2008 - 05:27 PM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
you could use one or more of these programs and open the files, saving the ones that work.

Another good one that shows then in thumbnails is-

http://www.imagewalker.com/

I don't know the max of thumbnails it can show, but I haven't reached it if there is one.

Of course you need support for all kinds of image files.
I believe you may have to use more then one program.
and use the programs to move the good pictures to a different folder.
Deleting them off the original folder after copying to the new folder as you go so they don't shoe up again while sorting and separating.

Man, that's a lot of pictures!!!!!

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
You can also use this, really good with two monitors cause there is an explorer window and view window.

http://forcevision.net/

These are all free programs, except a few at filehippo.com.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
darn it.

this was supposed to be in the first post as a list of programs to see which pics are not corrupted.

http://www.filehippo...tware/graphics/

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I would try Picasa...
Picasa is software that helps you instantly find, edit and share all the pictures on your PC. Every time you open Picasa, it automatically locates all your pictures (even ones you forgot you had) and sorts them into visual albums organized by date with folder names you will recognize. You can drag and drop to arrange your albums and make labels to create new groups. Picasa makes sure your pictures are always organized.
besides being fast...it's easy to see which ones are corrupt and those that are good..

Edited by happyrck, 29 April 2008 - 09:10 AM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Agreed, Picaso is the fastest organizer and and a great viewer.

With Image Walker you can see a lot of images at the same time,
although they are thumbnails.

ForceVision is good at organizing in real time.

Picaso doesn't change the actual image organizing in your pictures folder,
unless you have the media director going in the tray I think so anyway, and then it sorts as they come in.
Not sure about that but it is called a director.

Invision Computers

Invision Computers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
sweet thanks guys.

another major problem I have is that about 1/3 of these recovered pics are just nothing. (windows just says it can't draw it. but they don't actually come up as corrupt. any ideas on a program that can just scan the folder and auto delete crap like that?

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
In Picaso under 'view' check sort by size.

That may sort them into the corrupted ones and the good ones, I don't know.
Or these other programs from a google search.

A google of fixing corrupted pics

http://www.google.co...GL_enUS268US269

I have never used any of these, but one of them may pull up the corrupted ones and actually fix them.
To do a batch mode, again I don't know if this will work with any of the programs listed, once you get them separated, and if the program will separate them, either try to fix them all or delete them all by choosing select all from the edit menu.