Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I find out what video card i have?

• Please log in to reply

Lady Of The Gray

Lady Of The Gray

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:) I just bought Sims2 thinking i have all the capabilities to run it. Whenever I turned on the game, it would run really slow and the walls of the houses would flash red and black. Now considering how annoying it was I looked up the information on the NET and it told me I needed a new video card.

Now heres my problem, I have no clue what type of video card I had to begin with!! So, how do i find out what video card I have at the moment, so I can figure out what card I supposedly need to get? My computer is a Windows XP by the way.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated! :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi Lady Of The Gray, welcome to G2G.

Click on Start then Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter or click OK.
Expand (click on the +) Display Adapters.

That will tell you what you have.

Lady Of The Gray

Lady Of The Gray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help!!! I really really apperciate it!! It says I have a S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR. Now I just have to figure out what that is!! lol!! Again thank you for all your help, now I just got to figure out what new graphics card I need to get, any suggestions? Or do I just need to update the card itself?

Edited by Lady Of The Gray, 27 April 2008 - 01:26 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm not a hardware type or a gamer. Hang on and let me get someone who has more knowledge in those areas to look in here and help.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
That's quite an old card, maybe even PCI and not AGP. What make and model of machine do you have? Those were often used as an integrated graphics device, not a separate card.

Lady Of The Gray

Lady Of The Gray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Actually it is intergrated. I didn't find out until I looked it up. I'm really not that tech savy. My computer is COMPAQ Persario 6000, designed for Microsoft Windows XP.