Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

XP random freezes since computer was new

• Please log in to reply

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
At least you have helped me cut it down to about every other night. No random freezes during the day for a while now. Power supply is next but it may take a few days.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You asked about reinstalling windows. That's certainly an option if you feel that you can do this properly. As a matter of fact I would do this even before replacing the power supply unit. This will make sure that the problem is not with the software, which is always a possibility.

If you go for that you have two options:

1: Clear format. Backup your data and run a fresh installation, formatting all your partitions in the process. You will have to reinstall drivers and programs. This is by far the safer, if longer, procedure, prefered by myself.

2: XP repair. You can use the link in my signature for a good G2G guide. The repair leaves your programs and documents in place but it often ends with serious problems. I hardly use this procedure and I wouldn't recommend it.