Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD 0x024 Type

• Please log in to reply

InfantryMen

InfantryMen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I think the chkdsk is finished? Cuz it says

CHKDSK has finished checking the volume.
& it says something about kilobytes total disk space & more.

& another C:\WINDOWS> Appear.

By the way, what does HDD mean?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
HDD = Hard Disk Drive

Type exit and press "Enter". Let the machine try to boot normally.

InfantryMen

InfantryMen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I dont recall formatting my hdd on the 26th... Any idea what I did? o-o"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't know that you "did" anything?

Does the machine boot to Windows?

InfantryMen

InfantryMen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yeah, It works now, Thanks a bunch.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Thanks wannabe1, I doubt if I could have helped Infantry alone.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
---- :)

You were on the right track...you just got hung up when RC wouldn't run properly.

Glad you're back up and running, InfantryMen. Is your data all ok?

Kevin Albaugh

Kevin Albaugh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
(having a second laptop with internet access and an ubuntu bootable CD has kept me from being totally dead in the water - so far)

1) After powering off my Windows XP Home edition laptop via holding down the power button, the next time I powered it on, I was confronted with the blue screen of death (BSOD) with STOP code 0x024. Using any of the 5 boot modes (Safe x 3, Last Known Good, Normally) results in the same BSOD.

2) Booting from an XP Recovery Console CD gets me as far as being able to select "Repair XP installation", but after doing so it says only "Examining ###### MB Dksi 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi..." and hangs. So I am never presented with an opportunity to try chkdsk or anything else.

3) Under ubuntu booted from a CD, I was apparently able to successfully fix the MBR on the hard disk via ms-sys, and also successfully run ntfsfix on the hard disk (NTFS partition) where every action was listed as successful or OK including "Setting required flags on partition". But upon rebooting from the hard disk, I still get BSOD.

4) Under ubuntu I am able to copy files from the hard disk to a flash drive with no problems, so I don't suspect a general hard drive problem. The hard drive was replaced in my laptop only last November (10 months ago) by the Geek Squad, so it shouldn't be dying this soon.

So without the ability to run Windows chkdsk and there apparently not being a Linux chkdsk available, I don't know what else to try of a DIY nature. Am I faced with paying a shop to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows? (after which I will have to reinstall all my software and restore files) And what is it they will actually do - pull out my hard drive, connect it to another computer, and reformat from there?

Thanks for any suggestions or info you might be able to provide.