Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection painfully slow with WRT54G router

• Please log in to reply

Julia.G

Julia.G

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello!

I've recently bought a new WRT54G router to share my internet connection at home. Both my PCs are connected (wired) to the router.

When I connect my PC to the modem without the router, my connection speed is about 1Mbps, but when I'm behind the router, my connection drops to about 150 kbps(!!). Despite the very slow speeds, everything else seems fine.

Any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks in advance,

Julia

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Try replacing the cable that connects the router to the modem (CAT5 or CAT6 Patch Cable)

Another possibility, although it sounds illogical for your particular problem, is that the phone cable outside your house is in poor condition (I'm assuming your on ADSL and not Cable). If you are on the 'fringe' of the maximum distance between you and your exchange, adding a router and it's cabling will further increase that distance, and the bandwidth deteriorates. Without the extra cabling from modem to router, the line is able to cope and gives you a better speed.

Edited by pip22, 27 April 2008 - 04:17 AM.

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
The cable that connects the router to the modem is the same one that I use to connect to my computer when I don't use the router, and the speed is just fine then. Could it still be a problem with the cable?