Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My firewall turns off on it's own

• Please log in to reply

outback_2007

outback_2007

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm running windows XP media center 32 bit, X86 and I use nod32, have also used AVG, but not at the same time. My firewall turns off, and back on in like 2 seconds on it's own. Some times it just turns off, and I have to turn it back on. Some times this happens every 30 minutes to one hour. And other times it only happens every few hours.

This is windows firewall. And I'm useing Just nod32, and it has it's own, anti spyware. I have scanned my computer and cant find any virus's, or spyware.

Computer Spec's

Windows XP media Center
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
2 GB Ram
PNY 8800GT 512 MB Graphics Card/gaming card

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is anything being logged in Event Viewer when this happens?

Have you tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling NOD32? Is the built in XP firewall disabled?

You say you also tried AVG, but that is only anti-virus and anti-spyware, not a firewall, right?

Might want to give Comodo Firewall a try.

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I would never try installing more than one firewall, or antivirus program at the same time. Althou I have not tryed uninstalling nod32, and reinstalling it, because this was happening before, during, and after eather AVG+antispyware, and Nod32 installs.

And what is the event viewer, I'm not familear with that. Seem like I should know what that is. Scrache's Head Hmmm.....

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry, my fault, I should have told you how to get to it.

Errors will be logged in RED

Click Start then Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter or click OK

Look in all three categories listed on the left. Double click on any error to look at the details. Use the arrows to move up and down in the events listed.

You can copy and paste them here if there are only a few. If there are a lot, copy them to a notepad window then save the file and upload it here using the Browse and Upload buttons below the message input area.

Once it's uploaded, it will appear in the "Manage Current Attachments(n)" drop-down box above the Browse and Upload buttons.

Click on the drop-down box and select the file you want (you can upload more than one) then click on the icon to the left that looks like a piece of paper with a green cross on it. That will place an attachment= entry in your post.

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I took a look in their, and their is plenty of them some in yellow, and some in red. All to gether a hundred I'd say. To much trouble to copy and past them all. Thanks for the tip.

I may just reinstall windows, after a clean formatt.

Some of them look like errors, caused from me stoping certian services. I dont stop ant that would cause my system to crash, butmay cause other problems. The reason for me stopping certian services was to spped up my computer some, but it dont help that much.

And now I have a new problem, my cpu fan, runs normal @ 1,745 or so RPMs, and twice no it has jumped up to 5,357 RPMs It did it once when nod32 was doing a scan, and just now as I'm typing. Speed fan says it's 42 degrees celcias. I did upgrade my cpu from 3400 to 4000, afew days ago. I'm shure it's not doing this because it's to hot. It must be something else. The other time I restarted my pc, and it still did it, so I turned it off, for about 10 minutes, and then restarted, and it was back to normal. that was about 2 days ago. now it's running wide open again.