Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Temp sensor location C2Duo

• Please log in to reply

Adebisi

Adebisi

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I got a faulty temperature sensor in a C2Duo system. Reporting CPU temp as 100C even though I can put my thumb right on the CPU and its not hot at all..... Of course this is causing the computer to simply turn off to protect itself. Quite annoying.....

Are the temp sensors still located in the mobo or are they integrated into the CPU now? AFAIK its still the mobo but I don't want to RMA the wrong part and delay the repair.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What program did you use to obtain that 100 degrees figure?
Bear in mind a lot of temperature sensors like Speedfan and what not will report figures that clearly don't match up to anything, and that's because the sensors that are being read aren't actually monitoring anything so they'll just show a default figure that's quite obviously wrong. Just ignore it.
If your CPU temperature really was 100 degrees you'd have known about it long before now.

However your comment about being able to put your thumb on the CPU leads me to have to ask an obvious question - do you have a heatink and fan mounted on that processor and is the fan spinning? Also ensure the heatsink is fitted securely, it only needs one peg not to be in properly to really upset things.

Adebisi

Adebisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
No software, the BIOS hardware monitor tells me its 100C

Also, when I noticed this, I removed the CPU fan clamp and simply sat the CPU fan on the CPU, holding it manually in place, so that I could instantly remove it and touch it to see if it was anywhere near 100C. Good contact was maintained between heatsink and CPU while doing this cause, well, im not an idiot.

No I did not run the mobo with a loose fan.

So, is the sensor in the mobo or the CPU these days? Thats really my only question.

Edited by Adebisi, 27 April 2008 - 03:06 PM.