Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help - PC takes a LONG time before booting OS

• Please log in to reply

Zip37

Zip37

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I'm new here.

My problem is with this videocard, the Ati Radeon HD2400 Pro (PCI-EX) by Powercolor. When I install it my PC boots really slow (about 30 MINUTES to get to POST) or it doesn't, I have a Radeon x550 and it works without any problem, I'm using it right now, but I want to know why my PC takes so long. With the x550 my PC boots normally.

But... If the HD2400 is in the system... When it gets past POST everything works fine, like nothing has happened, also, if I reboot, it boots normally too. If I do a "Cold boot" the system will take up to 30 minutes loading the POST screen, if I have bad luck it won't boot.

My system is a Gateway GT3231m with the following specs:

Intel D945GCF Board, It's OEM
450W PSU
Core 2 Duo E4300
1 GB DDR2 RAM
320GB HD
Ati Radeon x550 (now)
Ati Theater pro 550 (tuner)

I've been reading this forum for awhile, it helps me to learn english :).
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the card is new, send it back. All the clues point to an issue with that card if the system is slow to boot only when that's in. This is not normal behaviour with any graphics card.

Zip37

Zip37

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your answer, I've done all that's within my possibilities. Sadly, I can't return my card, the only way to get PC parts in Mexico is by internet and returning it would cost me more than buying another.

Too bad that the HD2400 is one of the few and cheap ways to get DX10 on my PC.

If i buy another card... Is the Nvidia 8400GS a good option? I don't mind its potential for games, I'd rather have something that fully supports today's standards.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Just out of sheer curiosity, find a friend with a graphics card that you know works and that is PCI-Ex and ask him/her if you can shove it in your computer for a diagnostic. Then see what happens.
As you know this card works, then if it still boots up quickly, your card that you bought is most definitely faulty.

Zip37

Zip37

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Just out of sheer curiosity, find a friend with a graphics card that you know works and that is PCI-Ex and ask him/her if you can shove it in your computer for a diagnostic. Then see what happens.
As you know this card works, then if it still boots up quickly, your card that you bought is most definitely faulty.

Got to agree with you, I've installed an Nvidia 6200 TC, it works just fine... Too bad that my radeon doesn't work properly...