Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt file is preventing XP booting up.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

x__CRASH__x

x__CRASH__x

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'm having a multi- tiered problem, and I'm stuck. Seems like trying to fix one thing, another thing goes wrong, and I can't move.

I loaded SP2 on an XP machine that got infected with some trojans I can't get rid of. After the SP2 installation XP won't boot up. So I was given some instruction on how to boot from the CD. But now there is a corrupted file, and I don't have a clue how to fix it.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

When I got into the Recovery Console to fix it I'm lost because I don't know the command to fix it.

Sorry to create another thread, but the gent that was helping me is MIA, and I'm running out of time to get this fixed.

Here is the other thread:

http://www.geekstogo...te-t196246.html

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Just replied your other topic.

x__CRASH__x

x__CRASH__x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you. That didn't work either, so I am going to format and start over. Please go ahead and close this thread.